Blender3d.org Education and Resources Section

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

DeadEyeAce

Post by DeadEyeAce »

The idea for Tutorial Grouping that I had was.

Quick Start Tutorials > Teach the GUI and blender concepts.
Beginner Tutorials > Any Tutorials that ony need the prier reading of Quick Start.
Intermidiate Tutorials > Will require the reading of atleast one Beginner or Intermidiate tutorial, wich will be listed at the start of the tutorial.
Advanced Tutorials > And althouge they don't require the reading of any spicific tutorial, they will require a broder understanding of blender. Alot of tutor's that don't fit in the other cat's would go here

If needbe, Tools, techniques, and project could be sub catigorys. but I wouldn't put them as seperate main catagories, becasue biginner and intermidiate, and Advanced, could also have Tools, techniques, and projects.

My reasoning is:
I should beable to randomly pick any beginner tutor. and do it with out ever having used blender or any other 3d modling programe before, assuming of cource I have read the quick start.

mthoenes

Post by mthoenes »

DeadEyeAce,
Thanks for your input...I have been teaching a class and need to get my act together so I can post all the material I have been using. I generally agree with your breakdown of tutorial categories,
Welcome to forum.

levon

Post by levon »

hey mthoenes, i think ive already talked to you about this earlier in the year. well my exams are over now, so i really want to get into this project. in relation to having videos, on elysiun http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17470

IamInnocent has made his video tutorials in flash as such:
http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/Tuts/Spin/spin.htm

using this program, though its not free.
http://www.debugmode.com

i think rather than making divx videos theses would be a better alternative, as you can pause and go back a step if you missed it.

mthoenes

Post by mthoenes »

levon,
Thanks for the word on the Wink tutorial creator. It does appear to be free after all. I am downloading. Iaminnocent's tutorial is very nice.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore »

Just to let you all know, I (if I were still a complete newbie) would prefer video tutorials with sound/subtitles. IMO they would much more clearly show exactly how everything is done, which is very important (not to say that IAmInnocent's tuts aren't just superb). Just my 20 millicents.

Just wish I could help somehow :(...

DeadEyeAce

Post by DeadEyeAce »

Carnivore wrote:Just to let you all know, I (if I were still a complete newbie) would prefer video tutorials with sound/subtitles.
I don't think we would want to use vidoes, atleast not as a main format. HTML should continue to be the main formate. And even if a video turtor was submited, it shouldn only be added to a tutor data bace when a html version is made.
The main reason would be the file size.
I wouldn't argue agenst video tutorials, they just should be put on a back burner. They would, for example, be good for extras on a CD, where size would not be a consern.
levon wrote: IamInnocent has made his video tutorials in flash as such:
http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/Tuts/Spin/spin.htm

i think rather than making divx videos theses would be a better alternative, as you can pause and go back a step if you missed it.
I belive there has been talk about a tutorial system built into blender. One of the implamentions would have it looking like that flash presition, only a little more interactive. (it was in the doc.proj. mailing list archives)

DeadEyeAce

Post by DeadEyeAce »

diz wrote:I would also find it great if we can set up a few documentation uniformization guide lines.

What I would love is:
- use docbook (other blender heads already seem to already want to use it for the documentation, but I've no more information on this).
- use a uniform keyboard description that can also make the difference between keys pushed at the same time and a sequence (such as ALT-A or ALT-S / 2).
- use a clear notation about who worked on the tutorial, so all the people that have the right for a copyright, plus the license under which it is published (GNU free doc, LAL free art, blender license, strict copyright, public domain, ...) that may be very useful for further reproduction of it, or integration into a linux (or whatever) distribution.
- suggest a writing style, how to structurate the tutorials and other hints that may be useful to think about for the future tutorial writers.
- suggest an elegant and easy way to indicate stuff on the screenshots.

The aim would be to push tutorial authors to make material that can be reused and that are abstracted from the layout. The newly written (or re-written) tutorials shouldn't contain any layout specification, only structural specifications. Like that they can be published into any useful way (paper print, blender3d.or layout, personal layout, ...).

Gabriel
The general layout and style I was thinking of, would be based on the tutorials on the old blender site, with the addition of a "data header", and footer.
The "data Header" would contain the Title, "Main" Author and thumbPic. The blender version it's garanted to be relavent for, the level (quick start/begginer/intermediate/advanced), and the recamended/required prereading.
The foot would contain: a link to the next tutorial (were aplicable), rehash of data header, license type, and Extended Credits (additional authors contributors, thanks, refomate/checking credits, ect)
Most extended credits would be optional or mear curtisy, unless otherwise required by the license type.

You can see a quick mockup here http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/season4/Ble ... Index.html

keyboard description - I think icon type pictures would work best, as is used in the tutorials on the old blender site.