startup.blend

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Anne24

startup.blend

Post by Anne24 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:08 am

I am completely new to this program and have already trouble installing it: it says info: config directory with "startup.blend" file not found.
Can I download this somewhere?
Thanks for your help!
Anne

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Even better, you can make your own! Just set up your Blender environment as you like - User Preferences, window layout, views, default camera and lights, and so on. Then save - File-Save User Settings (or CTRL-U for hotkey masters)

Anne24

Post by Anne24 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:01 pm

stiv wrote:
Even better, you can make your own! Just set up your Blender environment as you like - User Preferences, window layout, views, default camera and lights, and so on. Then save - File-Save User Settings (or CTRL-U for hotkey masters)
Thank you, Stiv, unfortunately I have no clue how to write this file ... I am not familiar with programming ...
Anne

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Sorry I was not clear. Blender creates this file when you save your User Preferences. ( on Linux, it ends up in your home directory a .blender/2.58/config/startup.blend).

The info message you see is just that - information. Nothing to be scared of.

Note there is also a File->Load Factory Settings to restore original Blender defaults.

Anne24

Post by Anne24 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:48 am

stiv wrote:Sorry I was not clear. Blender creates this file when you save your User Preferences. ( on Linux, it ends up in your home directory a .blender/2.58/config/startup.blend).

The info message you see is just that - information. Nothing to be scared of.

Note there is also a File->Load Factory Settings to restore original Blender defaults.
Thanks for your reply.
Blender does not open, so I cannot save User Preferences.
When I activate blender.exe it searches for the startup.blend file and it cannot find it and within a second it is crashed. :(

Anne24

Post by Anne24 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:42 pm

OK, I just found that instead of installing the 64 bit version (which would make sense as I have 64 bit machine), I should have installed the 32 bit version, which now seems to work ... (keep my fingers crossed ...)
Thanks.
Anne

pengi288

Post by pengi288 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:34 pm

hi,
i've been trying to find startup.blend, and i've look every where and i can't find it :(

My Blender does not open.When I activate blender.exe it searches for the startup.blend file and it cannot find it and within a second it is crashed.

Ive got the 32-bit version on a 32-bit windows

help

paul

padewij

Please help me out!

Post by padewij » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 pm

My blender crashed, so i had to redownload it.
but when I started blender i got the error:

ndof: dead zone set to 0.10
info:config directory with ''statup.blend'' file not found.

I can't find the config file, nor the startup.blend file.
What now? ):

FrankieC

Post by FrankieC » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:16 am

I have version 2.59 installed on Windows 8 Developer Preview on a PC and on my laptop. Both work fine. I installed on my Samsung Slate and started getting this very same error message about startup.blend not being found.

I am very new to blender - really don't even know how to use it yet. Anyway, I am not new to Windows so I did some hunting around on the file systems of each computer and noticed that on my Samsung Slate (the computer that is giving me the problem) that the following directory was not created: C:\Users\FrankieC\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.59\config so I created it manually.

When I tried to launch Blender I still got the same error. After rebooting, I finally got into the app. I did not have to reboot any of my other computers in order to get Blender to launch so there must be a permissions issue with the install process on some machines that causes the folder to not be created? That's a guess on my part. I looked for some log files but they were huge and do not have time to parse them right now.

Just as an FYI, I also tried running Blender explicitly as the administrator (right-click->run as administrator) and had the same issue. Creating the directory and rebooting fixed it for me.

HTH,
FrankieC

algie

Blender start up file not found

Post by algie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi. I'm new to using Blender, but had trouble loading onto my laptop. I kept getting the error message 'config error. startup.blend not found' and Blender crashed immediately, even though it loaded in safe mode. I fixed the problem by right clicking the desktop, properties. Go to advanced - troubleshoot - and in the hardware acceleration, I reduced the resolution until Blender worked fine. Hope this helps anyone who has had the same issue, as it had me scratching my head for days before I found this.

Algie W

rupert

Post by rupert » Sat May 18, 2013 12:45 am

Thanks algie for the help.

rupert

Post by rupert » Sat May 18, 2013 12:50 am

I can't believe that I solved my problem so fast. Thank you again.