Blender Basics classroom tutorial

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Statik

Post by Statik » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:25 pm

You write it, I'll host it! :)

I've been following blender since before NaN went under, I can't remember which version it was, maybe 1.28 or something. Anyway. I've never really learned it, so I'm almost a first time user. I'm up to page 34 so far. I'll let you know how it goes for a newbie like me and hopefully that will help with the 2nd edition. So far it's great!

Statik

eek

Post by eek » Mon May 03, 2004 3:48 am

yeah, im really new too. i find the tutorial a bit hard to follow as a noob. its pretty good though. i use a few tutorials to fill in the blanks.

mispunt

Post by mispunt » Thu May 06, 2004 10:57 am

I didn't read the tutorial jet, but from what I have heard here it should be great.
Is it possible to translate it?

Statik

Post by Statik » Thu May 06, 2004 1:08 pm

Translate it into which language?

I'm guessing that teachtech wouldn't mind multiple language versions of it being created, as long as the spirit of the GNU GPL was kept with the tutorial. I wouldn't mind hosting that either. The demand is starting to drop off for the english one now.

Statik

mispunt

Post by mispunt » Thu May 06, 2004 2:17 pm

I wanted to try to translate it in dutch.
I think it is very usefull for people who don't understand english well enough to read this tutorial. But I saw that there were some images whit text in it and so on, so if it is possible it is nice to have an easy editable version of the document and not the pdf, so all the translated documents have the same layout.

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Thu May 06, 2004 9:53 pm

Someone contacted me through email about converting it to dutch (don't have the name here with me at home right now) and someone is working on it in french in Canada. The problem with the full document is that it's in PageMaker and around 70 Megs in size. Difficult to send anywhere electronically.

yann

Post by yann » Tue May 11, 2004 12:02 pm

Would you mind if I wrote a Swedish version based on yours? I'm planning a volunteer course here and this document looks like the best starting material. I don't need the pagemaker source, just hope for approval. Naturally I'll include credits.

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Tue May 11, 2004 1:07 pm

yann,

Be my Guest! :D All for the Blender good!

eek

Post by eek » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:04 am

hey guys. after a while i've returned to blender. (I slacked off for a while) If you need the tutorial hosted now I now have 64 gigs a month. that might help a bit. i guess the demand wore off though. Just lettin yea know teachtech

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:03 pm

Lol, there's a way of doing an online class with voice over internet now. And give all the Blender Students the same pdf file to read from how to use it, and a teacher on a voice chat server to solve problems. :P Well that was my idea of organising a 2 weekend Blender Class over Internet. 8)

eek

Post by eek » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:55 am

that'd be a cool class but i think im too much of a noob to ask good questions and stuff

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:57 am

I know I dropped off the face of the forum for a while, but have a question for anyone wishing to post a thought.

I plan to come out with a 2nd edition of the classroom manual hopefully by the end of the year, but instead of posting it on the web (and I hope to keep the 1st edition available), I thought of sending it to a few textbook publishers. Now, before I get flamed for selling out, I hope that this could benefit the cause. Assuming that it would get published (publishers don't like to print books for something they know little about and they already print books for 3D Studio and Maya), I would like a percentage to go toward the foundation. DotBlend has had 40,000 downloads of the tutorial and I'm sure Statik has had quite a bit also. Those numbers show a need. I have also been contacted by many schools wishing to use the manual. I think that a printed and bound color workbook manual may be of use in the schools and help the Blender cause. A big publisher like McGraw-Hill or Goodhart-Wilcox would be great advertisement for Blender.

Well, there's my thoughts. If publishers show no interest (which is a good possibility) I will post on the web as I did with the 1st release. I don't know when since we're starting a new school year with me teaching in a brand new school building that still isn't finished for a school year starting in 3 weeks. Time is a premium.

dotblend

Post by dotblend » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:40 am

at the current moment almost 950000 downloads!

Statik

Post by Statik » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:58 pm

From what I can tell, and I'm not that good at reading these logs, I've had 106179 requests for the PDFs total, so, that's roughly 35393 downloads of the tutorial total.

Statik

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:52 pm

Those totals are amazing! :shock: If that's any indication of how many people are trying to learn Blender, The Big Boys better beware!

Thanks again for your hosting Dotblend and Statik