Blender Basics classroom tutorial

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

Thanks Statik! Once I post part 3 (which I think I'll do tomorrow evening) I'll change my posting to link over to yours. I'm getting a lot of feedback on it and it is much appreciated. Thanks to all :D

Statik

Post by Statik »

Found one spelling error, Page 19, 2nd paragraph, 4th line, first word. Shouldn't that be points, not ponts?

Statik

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

OOPS! Must have missed that one- Thanks for finding it. :D

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

OK- Part 3 is up on the site. I have been getting a lot of feedback since the posting on the home page. For all 3 parts, go to Statik's site or to DotBlend's site for a more compressed version of all 3: http://members.home.nl/dotblend/download.htm

Thanks to all in the community for making Blender as successful as it is!

Statik

Post by Statik »

Uploaded the third part now.

I may link the full version as well, just for consistancies sake. :P

If there are any other tutorials that need some mirroring, don't hesitate to meantion them to me.

Statik

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

Thanks Statik. That's it for now. I eventually want to make one for AutoCAD someday for use in my classes because I'm not happy with what I currently have, but I've been saying that for years. Maybe this will be the summer I write one. I also imagine that I will need to do an update on the Blender tutorial. Things keep changing so fast with the program, but for the good! :D

Statik

Post by Statik »

Actually, I wasn't confining myself to your tutorial, but was offering for other tutorials that are Blender related, and on low-bandwidth servers. The main tutorials are on fast servers already, but I like to help out the little guy when I can, cause I'm a little guy too. :)

Statik

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

That's actually good to hear. We need a common source for stuff like this. I bet you can fill up your server pretty fast when this word gets out!

Statik

Post by Statik »

well, I think the blender site should be the main source for large tutorials, but the fan type stuff will need a home too. Hopefully we can get some mirrors together, and maybe I'll list them

We'll see what the needs are. I also have the option oif making a sub-domain (blender.statikonline.com) which might make more sense if things get more official.

Statik

Statik

Post by Statik »

One other note TeachTech.

I'm working through the tutorial, becuase my 2.3 manual hasn't arrived yet, and I've hit a possible area where more clarification is required. On page 22, in the discussion of Boolean operations, I couldn't make any of the shapes for quite some time. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I started deleting shapes to start over. There were my shapes!
So, after some experimentation, I discovered that to properly do a boolean, in my situation at least, I first create the two shapes, then I select the two shapes, in precedence order, press W and chose my operation. THEN I hit delete and delete the still selected original shapes. What is left then is the new shape. So a boolean operation creates a new shape from the two shapes. It does not modify the orignal shapes!

Can you please clarify if I've learned this correctly, or if I'm totally missing something.

Statik

eek

Post by eek »

yes. the explanation of boolean operations didn't work for me either. I still haven't gotten it to work either. When I hit any of the 3 choices it says error:please choose 2 mesh surfaces. im not in edit mode like it said and i have them both selected with TAB.

Statik

Post by Statik »

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying eek. To do the boolean operation, you must be in object mode (no points visible, just the lines). If there are any pink objects, hit 'A' to makes sure that none are selected. Next, pick the first object by using the RMB. Now, hold shift and use RMB to click the second object. Now hit 'W' and do your boolean. Then hit 'Del' to erase the initial two objects and reveal the new object.

Statik

eek

Post by eek »

i think i'm close, but i can't select two objects. im out of edit mode, and none are pink. when i right click one object both get selected. im not sure why.

Statik

Post by Statik »

Both are getting selected because you still had the first object selected when you added the second. That made the two join as one object. Before you create your second object, make sure that no objects are currently selected. See pages 15 and 16 about this.

Statik

eek

Post by eek »

awesomeness! thanks a ton. it worked for me when i didnt have it slected. stupid mistake. i forget things it said on other pages though which is why it didnt work.