Blender Basics classroom tutorial

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Statik

Post by Statik »

I can see why people have trouble hosting blender material, I have a 10Gig transfer per month, and since I've started hosting these files I've used another 18Gig above that. One thing I am going to do is switch to the better compressed versions to save bandwidth.

Can we get some more mirrors? That will help balance the load.

Statik

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

Thanks for the input. I will make adjustments this summer when I do a 2nd edition :D . Dotblend has also taken my tutorial files and somehow, magically, recompressed them to half the original sizes while keeping the quality way up. You can get them here: http://members.home.nl/dotblend/download.htm

I imagine after the initial interest dies down your site will take less of a hit. Thanks!

eek

Post by eek »

i can't host anything...my sites too bad.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert »

Ill d/l them tomorrow and mirror them (tomorrow is actuall only about 10 mins away but Ill have to wait unti, I get home so sometime after 6)

I have about 7 gigs to use in a few days, gotta use them for something.

I have 10 gigs a month anyway, so theres no problem there.

Ian

eek

Post by eek »

cool. i don't want the sites that host them to fail on me when i'm trying to use it :)

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert »

Ok, I have uploaded the files. Wait a few minutes after this post for the third part to finish uploading (about 15 mins after this post)

http://apieceofstring.com/tut/

I have a lot of bandwidth for a few days, so you can direct all traffic here. At the end of the month I will have 10 brand new shiny gigs, so im ok for bandwidth next month too.

Anyone else need things hosting?

Hope this eases the burden,

Ian

Statik

Post by Statik »

While it's nice that your hosting Ian, I'm not sure you know what you're in for. I'm only hosting the three tutorial files, and I've managed to use 30 gigs of bandwidth since April 15 on these files! :)

I'm sure the furor will die down, but brace yourself man!

Statik

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

Wow Statik! When I posted these Tuts I wasn't sure how much interest it would draw! All for the Blender good- right :wink: I hope they're helping to introduce some people to the wonderful world of Blender. I know it helped us at Central Dauphin School District break the chains that bound us to AutoDesk and give us a more diverse learning experience for the kids.

Thanks again :lol:

Statik

Post by Statik »

These are great tutorials teach. I've been slowly working through them. Although I have ordered the 2.3 manual, you tutorials are the first ones that have covered the basics that a newbie like myself needs.

BTW, Did you notice the comments on the boolean operations in the other thread? So far, that and the one spelling correction are the only improvements I've found so far. I'm up to page 26.

At this download rate, I may need to write myself a little auto balancing script to direct the downloads to whatever mirror has the least total usage that month. Something I'll keep in mind.

Statik

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

Statik,

I did post a reply at the top of this page when I read the comments about the Boolean. I plan to revisit that chapter when I get a chance which probably won't be until this summer the way time looks right now. :D Springs a busy time around here. I've been getting a lot of emails from around the globe about the manual and all has been positive. Someone has even posted a comment on the article about a 2nd level manual. Maybe someone else may want to pick this up. I don't see time to work on one for a while. I need to upgrade my AutoCAD stuff before I consider that. Only so many hours in a day. :cry:

Statik

Post by Statik »

I understand totally man. One of my clients (one of many) asked me today if I could work on two of his requests at the same time! I mean, I only have two hands and two eyes, and one monitor. So, he offered to go halfsies with me on a monitor! Not that I don't mind a monitor, but they not only expect your undivided attention, but they want it TWICE!

Anyway, the additions question wasn't to rush you, just asking your intentions.

Statik

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

Never took it as a rush. I know I've been known to miss things in these forums. Not used to so musc activity. Thanks for the reminder

You know, you have 2 feet that probably aren't doing much while you're working on the computer- maybe your client thinks you can put an additional keyboard and mouse on the floor to go along with that monitor! :wink:

eek

Post by eek »

yeah. they're really good tutorials. I'd say continue writing more advanced stuff...even if it takes a long time. it'll take a long time for me to get good at blender so i don't mind if it takes a while :D

dreamsgate

Post by dreamsgate »

I download your manual for my daughter. She is loving it and learning alot. Thanks for writing it and sharing.

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

Thanks all! :D After not looking at the tutorial for a week, I did a quick read through last night an found quite a few things I either missed or would like to change. Sometime this summer I'll write a 2nd edition!