Texture Baking in Blender?

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

z80180

Texture Baking in Blender?

Post by z80180 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:58 am

Is it possible to do texture baking in blender? I want to render the lighting & reflections to texture so that it would look better in flat shaded game engine, but i cant find any info on how to do it in blender.
Thanks.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:40 am

You can bake lighting with radiosity, and you need a script to re-apply the UV co-ords and images (one was floating arouns somwhere)

- Not reflictions tho- Check out relfective uv co-ords! they look alright.

Merlot

Post by Merlot » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:35 am

Texture baking would be very handy for lighting, very VERY handy for realtime as you are suggesting.

However, it would not work properly for reflections, as the reflections change depending on where the camera/viewer is.

Ideasman - when you bake radiosity, does it apply it to the texture? Or to the mesh as vertex painting? Because I think radiosity rendering increases the poly count of your mesh, does it not - making it not very useful for realtime stuff? I'd be interested to know, I'm not very up with this...

Apollux

Post by Apollux » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:41 am

I know that something quite similar to ¨texture baking¨ can be done in blender by using the texture mode and vertex colors. Search on the on-line manual for more details.

Some external render engines that work with Blender can, in fact, bake textures. Virtualight is one of those, and I believe Yafray also can do it.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:14 am

Radiosity uses vert painting.
It generaly creates extra polys but can be made not to.

modron

Post by modron » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:49 pm

light your object ( well ) , in edit buttons hit 'vcol make', delete the light source if you wish, and in materials buttons, click on 'vcol light'

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:02 pm

modron wrote:light your object ( well ) , in edit buttons hit 'vcol make', delete the light source if you wish, and in materials buttons, click on 'vcol light'
This is cool but it does not light with shadows

I think baking radiosity and then assigning the Vert colours back to the original object.

Should write a script to do this... there was one hanging about somwhere a while ago.

jeotero

Post by jeotero » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:18 am

http://www.deathfall.com/article.php?sid=3555

texture baking

imagine doing a GI Dome render and then map that as UV textures for games, etc ...