Docbook XML?

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

cog

Docbook XML?

Post by cog »

Sorry but I am new to all this. I have the 2.3 manual which is fantastic, despite some illustrations being too light :(. I believe that the manual is on the disk in Docbook XML format, I unfortunately have no idea how to read or convert it. The note says that if I have a have a complete working DocBook XML environment then building documentation is as easy as to type 'make' at the command line.

Um! tried to find a simple explanation and tools to set up environment but thats made me more confused. Is there an intuitive WindowsXP program to create such an environment so that I can view the CD manual?

I'm hoping to see clearer pictures :) and also access the manual electronically.

Cog

cog

Post by cog »

OK I know that there are pdf chapters in the chapter directories of the manual CD, but havn't had a chance to check, at work at the moment.

However, I am still interested in Docbook XML and its use for documentation creation and standardisation. I have read many websites out there to help with setup on WINXP (I can find only 2) and in each case have failed to get things working. Can anyone help?

Cog

gabio

Post by gabio »

i have sat up a docbook env. and builded one: the source on cd-rom is the old opendoc dated 29 september... that's so bad, the name of the file is 2.3 source... so for now the source of the true book isn't reachable. I hope they'll put it on blender.org soon.

theeth

Post by theeth »

gabio wrote:i have sat up a docbook env. and builded one: the source on cd-rom is the old opendoc dated 29 september... that's so bad, the name of the file is 2.3 source... so for now the source of the true book isn't reachable. I hope they'll put it on blender.org soon.
AFAIK, parts of it are already in the docboard CVS.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

gabio

Post by gabio »

theeth wrote:
gabio wrote:i have sat up a docbook env. and builded one: the source on cd-rom is the old opendoc dated 29 september... that's so bad, the name of the file is 2.3 source... so for now the source of the true book isn't reachable. I hope they'll put it on blender.org soon.
AFAIK, parts of it are already in the docboard CVS.

Martin
You said it, part...

adame

Post by adame »

You can try have a look at this program. Unfortunately it is shareware:
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Else I believe this guide should work for you:
http://supportweb.cs.bham.ac.uk/documen ... entedhtml/

adame

Post by adame »

If you chose to use the guide(which I will certainly say is the best) there are a few things of which you must beware:
Saxon:
If you chose to use Saxon be sure to download the 6.x.x version as the 7.x.x version does not work together with fop.
Libxml:
When you download LibXml, make sure you also download the zlib package and unzip the zlib.dll file to the directory where you place the other LibXml file.