this is going to sound bad.

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kevinmg

this is going to sound bad.

Post by kevinmg »

Hey guys sorry about posting this, based on the fact that this is a good site. I have noticed some things though and wondered what your input would be. I have asked for help on a couple of things and my posts get viewed but none ever gives me any direction, am I wrong in thinking that only people who know how to use blender the best are going to get the help they need and the n00bs like me are left trying to figure it out on are own? I know that sounds really bad but I don’t know any other way to say it. I would very much like to help but I can’t do anything till I get some help myself.

Also pleas don’t take this post personal its nothing agenst anyone who works hard to keep blender going, but it seems that people who use blender all belong to a good old boys club and if you weren’t there or don’t have much knowledge of any 3d program your not going to get anywhere, and that could be bad for blender its a big turn off to people who have a real interest in working with the program. I have been attacking my blender program as much as I can trying to learn it reading any tut I can get my hands on but sometimes I need someone who can tell me exactly what I’m doing wrong. All I’m really doing is asking for some help so I can reach the same level as the rest of you so I can help contribute to blender also.

dreamsgate

Post by dreamsgate »

well actually the problem is that this is the wrong site for questions. This is the developers website, you will get alot more help if you go over to

http://www.elysiun.com/

elysiun is the artist's community and everyone there is willing to help you learn.

And I tell ya what, you can email me if you want and I'll answer as many of your questions as I can and if I don't know the answer, I'll track it down for you. :D

email: dreamsgate@cableone.net

kevinmg

that i apr

Post by kevinmg »

that means alot to me and i have poted at elsim i get told to go thru there tuts im not the typ that learns all that well from tuts but the offer for help via e mail is verry much appr. i thought for shur this post was going to get flamed and im happy to see people dont take things personal by no means did i want to be disrespectfull so i thank you.

Statik

Post by Statik »

I do have a question for you tho, not a flame. If you don't learn well from the tutorials, how do you expect to learn? Do you expect to ask the forums each time you don't understand something? Chances are that few people will respond to you after a while when the information you are looking for is available in a basic tutorial. Often, when people are telling you to look in a tutorial, they are suggesting that you could read the nice explanation in the tutorial, rather than them having to retype it, or create another from scratch. While there are plenty of people willing to help you out, they generally like to see that you have put some effort into researching the question first.

Statik

Helmuti_pdorf

Post by Helmuti_pdorf »

It is okay, You need answers on Your questions and not any delay..

But one question I have really: when are You sleeping?

You joined the forum on 24. may and after 1/2 day You have not yet gotten an answer!

Please, give us a chance....means a little time to react...

When I remember on my first try on blender, it was hard to understand the background of this 3D - Computer Graphis anyway.
I started with 3D Studio max long ago and I need like YOu a lot of help in the beginning.

What I did:
I red a lot of "technical" 3D-books about graphics, lightening, rendering, ray tracing, modelling, animating, and so on... and I understand the problems of Vertex, edges, faces with their normals, mapping and all the artficial themes aroung CG.

Means: I made a big investment in time.

I understand Your wish not to invest such a lot of time.
But if You do more than play with blender around You wil need such an investment.
And of course read and try a lot of tutorials....

Sorry, that sounds bad for You I think.

Try and error is a hard way, I believe to read a good book is the easier way!
regards
Helmlut
regards Helmuti_pdorf

mpan3

Post by mpan3 »

THough not an "expert", I do know Blender very well. And my advice would be to go through all the tutorials you can find on the net.(the alternative would be buy the book) Blender is not exactly an intuitive program. But once you get the basic of it, it gets easier and is very well designed to be productive.

So read tutorials, that's how I learned blender. I understand why some people don't want to answer "dumb" questions like how do I scale my model. No offence, but these types of question do annoy people.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Just ask questions, I dont care if there on elysuin or blender.org presonaly.

Just make your questions concise.

IE- NOT- How do I make a car?, for those kinda questions use tutes
- Cam.

noselasd

Re: this is going to sound bad.

Post by noselasd »

kevinmg wrote:Hey guys sorry about posting this, based on the fact that this is a good site. I have noticed some things though and wondered what your input would be. I have asked for help on a couple of things and my posts get viewed but none ever gives me any direction, am I wrong in thinking that only people who know how to use blender the best are going to get the help they need and the n00bs like me are left trying to figure it out on are own? I know that sounds really bad but I don’t know any other way to say it. I would very much like to help but I can’t do anything till I get some help myself.
This isn't really true. All have to start somewhere, so just ask about what you
want to know. Though you are strongly adviced to read the documentation.
The first chapters goes through the basics,and helps you make your first
animation in a way that teaches you alot of blender.

You should also be aware that 3d modelling is much like drawing or painting,
some are good at it, others can't draw a nice looking picture no matter how
hard they try.

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

kevinmg ,

Try downloading this turorial book from Statik's site: http://www.statikonline.com/Blender/

Although slightly outdated already (6 months) It's written a little differently and more concise than some of the other turorials.

When I first tried Blender, I read some of the tutorials and thought "OK- this makes a lot of sense". Then I tried to make something and couldn't figure out why every time I made something new, it was joined to the last thing I made. Why- because the tutorial never told me I needed to get out of edit mode (tab key) before creating a new object! :evil: I was so frustrated with the program that I didn't try it again for about 4 months. The learning curve is exponential meaning that you start very slow, then it gets easier and easier.

Good luck!

joeri

Post by joeri »

A way of getting immidiate response is chatting on IRC.
A list of blender related chats can be found on this page here

VSTM

Post by VSTM »

teachtech wrote:kevinmg ,

Try downloading this turorial book from Statik's site: http://www.statikonline.com/Blender/

Although slightly outdated already (6 months) It's written a little differently and more concise than some of the other turorials.

When I first tried Blender, I read some of the tutorials and thought "OK- this makes a lot of sense". Then I tried to make something and couldn't figure out why every time I made something new, it was joined to the last thing I made. Why- because the tutorial never told me I needed to get out of edit mode (tab key) before creating a new object! :evil: I was so frustrated with the program that I didn't try it again for about 4 months. The learning curve is exponential meaning that you start very slow, then it gets easier and easier.

Good luck!

HAHAHA, I did the same thing about an hour ago. About 15 minutes ago I found the same tutorials that you described. I decided I would try using those on my next attempt because they seemed pretty well written, and were small enough to print off. I eventially did figure out about the tab key thing but some hot-key that had changed since the tut was released threw completely threw me off so I started searching for newer docs. I've only worked with blender about 30 minutes to an hour total and already I can see begginners asking questions that about 2 minutes of reading a tutorial or manual can show.

I'm glad to see that blender users have patience.