Blender 2.3 Guide. Sucks!

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

TRUSTpunk

Blender 2.3 Guide. Sucks!

Post by TRUSTpunk »

Hi everybody , im having a bit of a problem , I purchased the damn Blender
2.3 guide and im stuck on page 58 where it says SubDivide , I put what the
damn book told me to put , it did not sub divide the cube. Dammit! :evil:

I hope you smart people know how to teach me a little better. Don't give me
any bullshit that I don't want to hear , because im about to pull my hair out.

aoe2bug

Post by aoe2bug »

hello. you will be more likely to get answers to this kind of question at the users forum, here:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewforum. ... ee7241d1e0

I realise its not obvious that this is the developer site, but we're kindof in transition here.
and you might wanna try to be nicer, people don't tend to help you if your rude.
oh, and welcome to the community. 8)

p.s., look around for the some tutorials, like these here:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Tutorials.243.0.html

TRUSTpunk

Post by TRUSTpunk »

Sorry for sounding like that. Im sure you would say the same thing if you
was the one having this trouble. I was pretty angry at Blender last night.

aoe2bug

Post by aoe2bug »

i can tell. :) good luck & happy blending.

dkmweeks

Post by dkmweeks »

Ditto on frustration...

I've got the Blender book, and it's a great book, or I assume it is acurate for 2.36. Too bad for me though, I've got 2.37a, courtesy of Gentoo, and Blender no longer tracks with to book. Making both Blender and this book pretty much useless to me.

I've "trial'd" and "error'd" (mostly error'd) through the first few steps of the Quickstart chapter (4), but can't even get to extrude properly.

The promise of Blender keeps me interested, but so far Blender has only waisted my time, because I can't yet do anything with it.
I'm pretending to be an actor.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

dkmweeks,

the older versions of blender are still available on the website, you might want to try learning with an older version going along with the book and then switch to the newer blender version.

Another option is to download the documentation from the website, which has been updated a bit since the printed version (though still not completely up to date).

http://download.blender.org/documentati ... 3.html.zip

LetterRip

dkmweeks

Post by dkmweeks »

Thanks for the advice.

I'm using the newer versions because the older ones wouldn't work with my Laptop's Radeon chipset.

The newer versions do.

So I'm stuck. I'll download the latest documentation, and try it. Once I get a feel for the way things work I'll be OK. But I'm new to all of this (Blender Animation), and quite lost. My previous graphics skills are in Drafting (Architecture and Mechanical), and using GIMP for web graphics.

In fact, my immediate requirements are quite simple: I need to use Blender to generate some coolie web graphics. I'll do more as I learn.
I'm pretending to be an actor.

joeri

Post by joeri »

This forum is about blender development documentation, not blender user documentation.

But I do wonder why you would want to blaim paper documentation not to be forward compatible. Does DOS documentation suck too because it does not apply to your Windows OS ?
Or did I misunderstand you?

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow »

dkmweeks wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I'm using the newer versions because the older ones wouldn't work with my Laptop's Radeon chipset.

The newer versions do.

So I'm stuck. I'll download the latest documentation, and try it. Once I get a feel for the way things work I'll be OK. But I'm new to all of this (Blender Animation), and quite lost. My previous graphics skills are in Drafting (Architecture and Mechanical), and using GIMP for web graphics.

In fact, my immediate requirements are quite simple: I need to use Blender to generate some coolie web graphics. I'll do more as I learn.
I don't get this. nearly everything in the manual is still valid, and the things that have been changed you can find in the release logs....theres a whole section dedicated to new features.

And you can't get to extrude properly? How can extrusion possibly be hard for anyone, and how can the Manual be to blame for this? I really am confused at this....it sounds like simple user error to me.

To subdivide a cube:

Tab to enter editmode. "A" to select all verts. "W" to call up the specials menu. Choose subdivide.

Hope you don't consider this bullshit that you don't want to hear.

joeri

Post by joeri »

TRUSTpunk wrote:I hope you smart people know how to teach me a little better.
My advice to you is: stop with blender, go do something less frustrating, like fishing orso.
Much easier to learn, much less frustrating, and fish don't mind you being unpolite.

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

If the Blender 2.3 guide sucks, for you, you can always consider helping those people who spend their time in improving this guide every time. As joeri said, being unpolite will not bring you anything. We ALL know what the strong points are and the weak ones.
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
You can't live with women, you can't live without women.
Fuzzy logic example.

bhays

Your answere here

Post by bhays »

Lot's of replies but very little help -- the newer app (2.37) defaults in SOLID mode -- try the ZKEY to toggle to WIREFRAME mode. (The reason I know is that I have had the same problem -- I queried bkey problem and found the answer...