Network Blender Intallation

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Shaba1

Network Blender Intallation

Post by Shaba1 »

I run a small non-profit computer center. I would like to use blender to teach kids 3d modeling and to get them interested in using computer. All of our computers ae windows 98 boxes. Is there any way of doing an automated install of the blender-237a-windows.exe or will I have to use the sp file and unzip it on each client.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

you could write a batch file that does the same thing [might want to have it just xcopy the directory unless you know of a command line zip util]

with a computer lab of more than 5 machines it is really annoying to mess with each one individually. Where I work we use norton ghost [7] corporate edition which allows us to create an image of a single computer and restore it to the entire 140 machine lab. ... it seems regular ghost 9 is completely different... [they call the feature we use multicasting...] In our old lab it took an hour to send a 12Gb image, in the new one it takes 8 minutes or so [gigabit rules!!!]... oh, and after they're imaged they need to be renamed [so the names are unique] and in our case put back on the domain... Also, I'm not sure if the OEM license of windows 98 will allow you to do this... of if you even have all identical machines, xp freaks out when you image another kind of computer... [when I tried something similar with 98 once I got reboots from new hardware like 6 times, but it didn't just lock up like xp does]

Shaba1

Post by Shaba1 »

Yeah I use ghost to restore all the machines in the lab from a know good machine ghosted onto a CD. Then I jus take the CD and a boot floppy around to each machine when things get too messed up. But that gets tedious. We do not have the multicast version of ghost. (Too much money to buy for the number of licenses that we needed) But in any case the only thing I can think of to get blender on the machines is using and autoit script compiled to and exe and pushing that and the blender.exe thru the logon scripts. I really do not want to have to do it that way. Autoit is somewhat finicky at times.