3D File Format help!!! EEK!

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

panzer

3D File Format help!!! EEK!

Post by panzer »

Hi!

I'm pretty new to Blender (currently pushing through documentation and tutorials... Whee!).

I downloaded some pre-made models to look at, but they came in multiple formats. My question is, if you are importing into Blender, what file formats does Blender support the best (besides .blend's ? :P ) The file I have to work with currently is in .3ds , .dxf, .dwg and .max...

I know that 3ds is for 3D StudioMax, and dxf and dwg are Autocad files... but I'm not sure on the .max. Another question that kind of stacks with my first: What are considered the superior 'formats' for 3d models? Is a .dxf better then a .3ds to work with??

Thanks for helping a newb out!! :oops:

MadMesh

Post by MadMesh »

When importing and exporting I almost always use Wavefront .obj but I have also had good experience with the Lightwave .lwo format. I dont like the .3ds format much, it triangulates everything. The most basic format is .dxf but I only use it if nothing else works. In most cases .wrl (VRML) wil also work fine.

.dwg and .max are not supported, you might find a python script that supports .dwg but it isn't included in the standard installation of Blender. I'm pretty sure there is now way to directly import .max files.

panzer

Post by panzer »

Thanks for the tips.

It seems like each format brings in a different amount of information...

So far I've had the best luck with the .dxf format. 3ds will import (after I made the necessary code change in the script), but it doesn't keep the proper alignment/placement of the objects. However, the .dxf doesn't retain linkings to image-based textures (something the 3ds will do).