Where's the option to set pivot points in Blender Alpha 2?

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

wickedcrowstudio

Where's the option to set pivot points in Blender Alpha 2?

Post by wickedcrowstudio »

I've looked all over and I could not find a way to specifically adjust the pivot point of an object.

In previous version such as 2.49, I was easily adjust the pivot point by left clicking in the viewport wherever I want the pivot point to be then go to the edit tab section and click on new cursor and that would define my pivot point.

In Blender 2.5 Alpha 2, I don't see that feature; not in the editing or object tabs...nor in the object/tool properties. Is it located elsewhere it it has not been implemented yet?

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

I dont think they have put a button for it yet. But the operator's name is "Set Origin", you can search for it in the Spacebar menu, or add it in the tool shelf.

You can also edit the .py files if you want to add the button somewhere else.

mb

Post by mb »

In Edit mode: Mesh menu, then Snap or Transform submenus;
In Object mode: Object menu, then (as above) Snap or Transform submenus.

wickedcrowstudio

Post by wickedcrowstudio »

Nikprodanov wrote:I dont think they have put a button for it yet. But the operator's name is "Set Origin", you can search for it in the Spacebar menu, or add it in the tool shelf.

You can also edit the .py files if you want to add the button somewhere else.
Thank you.

The set origin worked for me. So it was renamed, huh? But anyways, thank you again. ^^

FreeMind

Post by FreeMind »

Shift Ctrl alt C

WOW, now that's a hand crushing hotkey for origin changing.
And i really don't like that the only way to change it in objects mode, is to snap it to cursor. And in Edit mode, you can move everything but the center...

I would like it if you could change the origin by simply selecting a transformation option somewhere, like "transform object center only".
Then you could move the center using the default transformation tools.

There actually is a button "Manipulate object center only"
in the header of 3D window, but it's not doing what i'd expect.

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

Yeah, you can make it work according to the 3D cursor, but you can't make the manipulator work with the cursor directly. What i do is either position the 3D cursor to where i want to, or i select another object and do "Cursor to Object". After that i can move the origin of the first object to where the cursor is and have them perfectly positioned.

tiborosta

Move object pivot point to vertex coordinates

Post by tiborosta »

Hi,
I was looking for a way to set my object's pivot point to a particular vertex.
Here's what I did:

-in the "right sidebar / Transform" : copied the global coordinates values of my vertex
-pasted it below in "3d Cursor Location"
-then, in "Object mode" with object selected, "Object Tools / Origin / Origin to 3d Cursor".

Thank you for the previous posts.

stiv

Post by stiv »

-in the "right sidebar / Transform" : copied the global coordinates values of my vertex
-pasted it below in "3d Cursor Location"
Typing coordinates is painful! The ShiftKey-S menu (snap cursor to selected) is your friend here.

/me notes this thread is 3 years old.

tiborosta

Post by tiborosta »

Quote:
/me notes this thread is 3 years old.

Thanks stiv, huge tip
First time I post on a forum. Shouldn't I post in an old thread?

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

tiborosta wrote: First time I post on a forum. Shouldn't I post in an old thread?
In many forums it is refered to as necro-posting. Bringing an old thread back from the dead. Once a thread is over a year old or so, there is a good chance that most of the original participants are no longer around to continue with the thread. Depending on the subject, it may also bring old antiquated information back to the forefront of forum conversation as if it were still relevant.

So if a thread is OLD, it is usually better to create a new thread about the issue you are having.

Personally, I like necro-posts on technical forums, because it shows that the new person has actually used the search function in the forum to find relevant information. Unlike so many others, who immediately post questions, which have often been adddresses and answered in the last couple weeks. :)

--Teh
Spacemice Wiki -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Spacemice / Blender Compatibility