Help. I want to edit my video but...

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

shao13015

Help. I want to edit my video but...

Post by shao13015 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 am

Help. I want to edit my video but... it said that it doesn't support my file's format. (My video's format is AVI)
G.A.M.E. Game, Anime, Manga, Entertainment
G.A.M.E.mangaka

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:21 am

It might help to know what 'it' is that is failing to load your video.

It sounds like the software you are wanting to use to edit the video, does not have the codec required to read the format which Blender exports to.

You will either have to find the proper codec, or re-render the movie in a format which the video editor can read.

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 am

Yeah, what Tehrasha said. Note that AVI is a container format which can hold all sorts of video and audio formats.

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:49 am

I did notice that Blender has an option labeled 'AVI Codec' in its video render selections, which is a bit confusing. I could not find any documentation about what codec it uses in that setting.

In the old 2.49, that setting brought up an extra dialog to select which codec to use, from a list of those installed on the machine. But that doesnt happen in 2.5x. (unless it does when you actually start rendering...)

shao13015

Post by shao13015 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh. Of course. Lets start from the beginning. I made a video and i want to edit it. I tried to open it with blender but it said it doesn't support the format of the video. So the question is, can we open and edit videos with blender?
G.A.M.E.mangaka

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:16 am

Umm... no, Blender is not for editing videos.

Blender is for 3D modeling and animation, which can render its output to various video formats.

We thought you were having trouble editing videos made with Blender in some other piece of video editing software.

shao13015

Post by shao13015 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:23 am

I those ppl were lying. (internet ppl) thanks anyway
G.A.M.E.mangaka

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:33 pm

You can edit video in Blender using the built-in Video Sequence Editor.

You must have the necessary codecs installed on your machine. Note that you do NOT use the File->Open menu to load video clips or images.

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:52 am

I stand corrected. I was unaware that it had that capability.

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:23 am

I was unaware that it had that capability.

Heh. I call it "Blender Feature Syndrome". There is a lot of stuff lurking in there. Not unusual, even for the developers, to say "I didn't know it could do that!". Lately, I've personally been boggling over all the compositor tools.

thedevilshands

Post by thedevilshands » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:31 am

stiv wrote:You can edit video in Blender using the built-in Video Sequence Editor.

You must have the necessary codecs installed on your machine. Note that you do NOT use the File->Open menu to load video clips or images.
Bit of a thread from the dead. A mate has asked me to remove some annoying commentary from a vid of his electric bike and I've stumbled over here in search of av editing software.

Can some one point out a tutorial or provide any advice on how to use the VSE in Blender to import AVI's and edit the audio, if that is even possible?

I'm looking through the manual but this seems to be more of a side section to the main application of Blender so any help would be much appreciated!
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

thedevilshands

Post by thedevilshands » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:41 pm

So I can get video up but no sound. What are the audio editing capabilities of Blender like?
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing