No light penatration

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Leonanand

No light penatration

Post by Leonanand »

Hi
This is Anand

I am a new blender(er).
As of right now i am working on an interior scene(day light). I am using 1 Area light and 1 sun for outer sun.
My issue is about these lights are not penetrating the curtain and window glass as i am using a transparent materials for these two objects. But the lighting comes good only if i hide the curtain & window glasses.

And I've tried to increase(to the maximum) the parameters of the lights as per the physical tendencies of sun. but the result is same, no lights in interior.

please someone give some simple solution for this issue.
Thanks
Anand M
3D Artist

ldo

Post by ldo »

You might be hitting the limits of the Blender Internal renderer. Have you tried using the Cycles renderer instead?

Alternatively, you can cheat by adding extra lights inside the room.

ldo

Post by ldo »

OK, I’ve done some more experimentation. If you use the Blender Internal renderer, then you have to turn on transparency for your curtains etc, and lower the Alpha value to give a suitable transparent/translucent effect. And for the material of the walls of your room, you need to go to the Shadow panel and check “Receive Transparent”. Otherwise objects in the path of the light will block it totally, regardless of their transparency.

Leonanand

Volume Fog

Post by Leonanand »

Thanks for the reply.

I used cycle render and its was damn good. but rendered for nearly 2 hrs(500 samples). might be system confg is too low for cycle render. I am not gonna use it now.

but later Ive found the reason for why the light is not penetrating(a stupid reason), i didn't noticed that there was two mirror in window(two objects). one without the transparent material.

But Ive found another issue while working with interior lighting .Its about the "volume fog".

How do i add a "volume fog" to a area light?
Anand M
3D Artist

ldo

Post by ldo »

There is a “Mist” panel in the “World” settings.

Leonanand

Post by Leonanand »

Thank again,

But its not working. And i am still having problem with sun light, but the area light penetrates the transparent material(curtains & Glasses).

the problem is still persist,

Is there any other way to optimize the rendering time of cycle render?
as its taking 3 to 4 hrs to render my int scene(with 1000 samples) but the noise is still visible.(i think the only way is to upgrade my system with 32GB ram L.O.L)
Anand M
3D Artist

bill2reg

Post by bill2reg »

See if you can use GPU rendering for Cycles. Sometimes it is faster than CPU rendering.

Leonanand

Where is GPU

Post by Leonanand »

I didnt find a GPU option in render settings
Anand M
3D Artist

Leonanand

Post by Leonanand »

Why the area light cant penetrate through a transparent glass material(window)?

Can any one answer me?pls
Anand M
3D Artist

lsscpp

Post by lsscpp »

For that you should activate "shadow" in the light paths panel.
But you'd better also check-off "shadow" in the ray visibility panel for each object you don't want to cast shadows (aka block light).

Anyway, Cycles is a path tracer, and this makes it not particularly efficient for interior lighting, especially when light comes from outside.
Imagine a box with a hole near a lamp. If you want a render of what is inside the box, then Cycles will take ages to clean the noise.