cylinder vertices

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

graphomet

cylinder vertices

Post by graphomet »

Hey forum.

How can I get vertices on the top side of a cylinder?
I insert into my stage a cylinder and I can only seem to add around
the body but not the top side?Its the only option I have in my Mesh Tools
which are:

Vertices
Radius
Depth

thank you.

j kaulfers

Post by j kaulfers »

One way to do it is to loop select the top edge using alt click, excrude and scale it down a bit so you can see your new verticies, Then with the excruded edge still selected go to the tools at the left and select merge at center. This will close off the end.

You really don't have to scale it down, it just helps as a reference. When I first stsrted using blender I had a lot of issues with double verticies because I would excrude and think that nothing happend because the verticies were on top of each others.

hope this helped

graphomet

Post by graphomet »

Hello.

Thanks for that!it was exactly what I was after, very handy tip with 3 easy steps. extrude,scale in,merge.

Kind regards.

j kaulfers

Post by j kaulfers »

:D glad I could help

Dr_Oculus

Same problem sort of

Post by Dr_Oculus »

Hi im new to the forums and blender, got blender 2.66a 64bit for win 7 64.
Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same problem, i load a cylinder and the top vertices are missing from the middle of the top?
I remember the other day these top vertices where there, i remember deleting them in a tutorial i was doing. the vertices converged on the top like slices of cake (technical stuff)

I load a cylinder add mesh/cylinder
then in "edit mode/wireframe" i look at the cylinder top and no vertices converging in the middle, i remember them there the other day because i had to delete them in the tutorial.

Now if i go back into "object mode/solid" i cant see through the cylinder?

The work around by j kaulfers is helpful, i "alt/righ"t click on the top vertices so they are all selected, then "E" for extrude, Hit "Enter" then click "merge/at center" from the left menu and now i have the cylinder top i had the other day.(slices of cake)
I can now delete these top vertices and see inside the cylinder but not all the way through? i have no converging vertices on the bottom either

I would really like to know why the cylinder has changed the vertices on top (converging like slices of cake) when i load the cylinder up. Why now have they disappeared?

I have done a full "Un-install" and re-install
I have done file/new/load start-up file
I have tried file/load factory settings

Any help appreciated and i hope this is in the right place

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

When you add a cylinder, you can change the type for cap filling in the redo panel, none / ngon / tris fan - does that help?
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Dr_Oculus

Post by Dr_Oculus »

CoDEmanX wrote:When you add a cylinder, you can change the type for cap filling in the redo panel, none / ngon / tris fan - does that help?
Yes that's done the job, thank you very much, i don't like to work around something, i like to know why and how to fix it and you have sorted it.

I did try a forum search and as i say im new to blender....so far i absolutely love it!!!!

It would probably of took me ages to find that out by myself, now time to try and read up on the differences.

Thanks again!!

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

You're welcome :)

"Nothing" is obviously not filling caps, so no face(s) at the top and bottom

"Ngon" fills the ends with one face each, these faces will be polygons with multiple vertices (if your cylinder has 24 verts for the circle, the polygons will have 24 verts each too)

"Triangle Fan" fills the ends with triangles (faces with 3 vertices), with a vertex in the center. You then see this in wireframe mode or if you enter editmode after you added the cylinder.

Dr_Oculus

Post by Dr_Oculus »

The "Ngon" looks the same to me as the "none" in edit/wireframe and this is what confused me. I have loaded 3 up "nothing", "ngon", "triangle"....pulled the vertices on each and gone solid to see the differences)
Im getting there sloooowly but surely.
Its a good job i didn`t just go with that workaround or i would have been doing things wrong and scratching my head with a "why does it look like?"

thanks for that

One day i hope to have blender enlightenment!!

Dr_Oculus

Post by Dr_Oculus »

Should i go on the blenderartists for these "how to use" questions?
I jumped on this thread because it was related to my problem but i dont want to be posting in the wrong place.

stiv

Post by stiv »

Should i go on the blenderartists for these "how to use" questions?
It really is a better place and you're likely to get quicker answers.

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

Ngons adds cap faces, nothing does not. But in wireframe-mode, it looks identical, as no edges are added if you use Ngon filling. Therefore there's no visual difference, in solid mode for instance there is however!

Dr_Oculus

Post by Dr_Oculus »

cool thanks, im getting there slowly but surely.