How to Shrinkwrap an Architectural 3d model ?

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

pixpast

Post by pixpast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 am

Hello every one.
I would be very happy if some one could help me with this challenge.
I have a 3d model built in archicad of a school house.
I want to use this model for a 3d print.
I need a clean water tight model for 3d printing with asbolutly no wholes in the geometry.
of course, archicad 3d models are leakier than a sponge... :-(

So my idea was to bring my simplafied model into Blender, then drop a box around it, subdivide it, so it has some detail and then using the Shrinkwrap option, select my school house and wrap the clean mesh around the outside of my building.

All the doors and windows of my school house are closed so I only need a model that represents the outisde, roof, external walls and windows.

So I have played around with this idea yesterday and this morning, and am only getting the my box to wrap around the rough form correctly but then thats it, it wont pull tighter around the windows and even corners of teh building.

I cant find where i can change the setting, that that wrap will be pulled nice and tighte around the external surfaces of my house.

If this is possible and some one can help me, then I can drastically reduce the time I need to get from archicad model to printed model.

Thanks and look forward to the reponse.
Ian :-)
i love 3d printing.. :-)

psullie

Post by psullie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:11 am

It would be easier to use the Boolean modifiers to create a single mesh, then use Select non-manifold to hunt for any poor geometry.
Netfabb Studio is a free tool for checking your shells

Note that 3d printing charges by volume, and as most building are hollow it and depending on your desired size may be significantly cheaper for you to print in section then assemble. Either way I recommend you hollow out you model and leave a the base open.

pixpast

Post by pixpast » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:39 am

could you explain that a bit more please ?

It would be easier to use the Boolean modifiers to create a single mesh, then use Select non-manifold to hunt for any poor geometry.

Im a real newby with blender and am not sure what you mean.
About the printing, thats not a problem. I have built a 3d printer at home and as long as I have a water tight outer mesh, I can dell my gcode program to create 20 percent infill and that will generate 3d printing paths that will fill the inside with a honey weave and I use 3mm PLA plastic, so the print will cost about 1 euro :-)

But I need to understand how to use Blender to create a clean tight mesh to the outside of the house model...

please...
i love 3d printing.. :-)