edit mesh after applying mirror modifier ?

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jagz777

edit mesh after applying mirror modifier ?

Post by jagz777 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 pm

can i make a mesh work like mirror modifier after applying mirror.such as if i tweak some vertices in one side it will be reflected on the other..? or i have to delete the half and apply again mirror ? thanks,i am new to blender from maya i would appreciate any help.:)
Jagz

Hellfireboy

Post by Hellfireboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:18 pm

In edit mode press T to open up the tools menu. Look for "Mesh Options" in the menu and check "X Mirror".

jagz777

Post by jagz777 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Hellfireboy wrote:In edit mode press T to open up the tools menu. Look for "Mesh Options" in the menu and check "X Mirror".
sorry man but its not working ? :(
Jagz

Hellfireboy

Post by Hellfireboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:17 pm

The two sides have to be exactly symmetrical across the X axis. For example, if you have a vertex at x=1 and another at x=-1 it will work but x=1 and x=-1.5 will not. This is across the global x axis and not simply the object axis. In general though it is often simpler to use a mirror modifier up to the point where you no longer need the object to be symmetrical and once one set of vertices no longer shares symmetry with the other it will break the function of the X Mirror. This presents a theory as to what the problem is that you are having but there is no way for me to know for sure unless I was looking at the blend file.

jagz777

Post by jagz777 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 am

plz check out my blender file....http://www.filedropper.com/shoes4_1 ....thanks...
Jagz

Hellfireboy

Post by Hellfireboy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Figured it out.

What's wrong:
Tty this. Add a mirror modifier to any of the objects in the scene on the x axis. You'll notice that the mirror shows up above the object rather than next to it. The reason is that all of the objects have a rotation value of 90 degrees on the Y axis. Hence then X Mirror was trying to act on a vertex above the object rather than next to it. In other words you started out with the shoe on its side on the x axis (I'm guessing that you started the model from a top view) and then you rotated it to a standing position by spinning it on the Y axis. The X Mirror is still trying to work on the mesh as if it was in its original position.

How to fix it:
Pick any of the object in the scene in object mode and then press Ctrl + A. From the list choose Rotation. This will set all of the rotation values to 0. Do this for the other objects in the scene. The X Mirror should work properly now.