Noob Question - How do I delete all Except vertices

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Post Reply
Zplintz
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm
Location: Maldon, Essex

Noob Question - How do I delete all Except vertices

Post by Zplintz »

Sorry I am guessing this is a really easy option (I know I managed to do it by accident on my first day with blender).

I want to create a simple 3d object (a re-modelled cube mesh), remove the edges and faces and leave the vertices behind.

(I intend to remove some vertices and re-make faces manually).

CoDEmanX
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 pm
Location: Germany

Post by CoDEmanX »

Select your entire mesh with A key in Editmode

Set selection mode to Vertices (or you won't see any verts afterwards)

Hit X to open Delete menu

Click "Only Faces & Edges"

:)
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Zplintz
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm
Location: Maldon, Essex

Post by Zplintz »

CoDEmanX wrote:Select your entire mesh with A key in Editmode

Set selection mode to Vertices (or you won't see any verts afterwards)

Hit X to open Delete menu

Click "Only Faces & Edges"

:)
That's the one - sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - haven't worked out what I am doing different yet (although it could well be that I don't always have vertices selected before I start) <- attention to detail Zplintz.......

Thanks for the prompt response.

CoDEmanX
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 pm
Location: Germany

Post by CoDEmanX »

you don't have to change selection mode to vertices before deleting faces & edges, you can do that afterwards as well. Note that you won't see anything, no faces, edges or verts after deleting faces & edges - switch to vertex selection mode and the verts will show.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Zplintz
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm
Location: Maldon, Essex

Post by Zplintz »

CoDEmanX wrote:you don't have to change selection mode to vertices before deleting faces & edges, you can do that afterwards as well. Note that you won't see anything, no faces, edges or verts after deleting faces & edges - switch to vertex selection mode and the verts will show.
That explains my apparent inconsistency. I can now use vertices from a template mesh to rebuild a new mesh edge by edge. Thank you.

Another question but related I think....

I get a lot of unneeded vertices left over after remaking a face after subdividing. I really need a command like "Remove Doubles" that just removes any vertices that are sitting on a straight edge that aren't connected to any other edges. Kinda surprised there isn't a command do this. (Perhaps my approach to modelling basic shapes that fit very consistently into a 20 x 20 grid of cubes is the wrong approach)?

At the moment I seem to end up creating a new edge/face between the two end vertices and then selecting all the vertices inbetween (that aren't connected to any other edges) and delete them - it is often followed by manually remaking the face. It just seems inefficient but if I leave the vertices in place it makes the model very complicated when it is converted into tris for Unity3d.


And finally another issue I am having is, if I subdivide a face (say a square in to 4 faces) and then make two of the new faces into one face. Sometimes I can make 2 faces out of the left two and sometimes not. Sometimes I can make a new face out of the left two but not the right. This problem seems compounded the more times you subdivide and rebuild the face(s) etc.....

My guess is that there are some extra faces or edges being made in the process and perhaps I need to remove these. Is this a bug or am I just being a noob?

Zplintz
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm
Location: Maldon, Essex

Post by Zplintz »

In answer to my own questions......

I now realise the loops n cuts is far more efficient way to divide up and create new faces etc + you don't end up with a vast number of unneeded vertices.

I am getting 4 x faster progress on my models without subdivide just because I don't have to go back and manually delete vertices and re-create faces.

Thanks for the advice.

(Closed)

CoDEmanX
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 pm
Location: Germany

Post by CoDEmanX »

you may check out the knife tool as well!

if you already got 1 vert in the middle of an edge (actually two connected edges with same direction) on one edge, and on the opposite site of a face the same, you can try the Vertex Connect command. It creates an edge from two selected verts and divides the face in between.

There is a Remove Doubles command, which merges nearby verts based on a threashold value. But if you just wanna get rid of unconnected vertices, then theres Select > Loose Edges/Verts. Do that selection for verts and delete them!
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Zplintz
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm
Location: Maldon, Essex

Post by Zplintz »

CoDEmanX wrote:you may check out the knife tool as well!

if you already got 1 vert in the middle of an edge (actually two connected edges with same direction) on one edge, and on the opposite site of a face the same, you can try the Vertex Connect command. It creates an edge from two selected verts and divides the face in between.

There is a Remove Doubles command, which merges nearby verts based on a threashold value. But if you just wanna get rid of unconnected vertices, then theres Select > Loose Edges/Verts. Do that selection for verts and delete them!
For me it was the verts on one line (ie edges end to end) - this is a problem when using subdivide (ie making a new face reduces the number of faces but leaves the verts and edges in place).

I am now happily using the knife to create new faces and everything is a lot easier - thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Post Reply