CUDA does not work - no field appears for choosing GPU

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

blenderrender

CUDA does not work - no field appears for choosing GPU

Post by blenderrender »

Hi all,

I got some trouble with blender... what I can do is, to choose CUDA on user preferences and can choose my GPU there. But there does not appear any field to choose my GPU on render tab. So blender keeps using my CPU.

I have tried: updating graphics driver, installing newest version of blender (2.66a), reboots etc.

How can i get CUDA working? please help... thanks!

System info:

- Windows 7 64 bit
- Quadcore CPU
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

My graphic card is listed with computing level 2.1, so it should work..

I wonder why I can choose it on user preferences, but no dropdown field appears on render-tab... :/ weird...

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Have you installed the nVidia CUDA toolkit?

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

blenderrender

Post by blenderrender »

Oh, I didn't notice that there's something to be installed additionally. So, not yet. Doing so and will come back soon. Thanks so far!

blenderrender

Post by blenderrender »

blenderrender wrote:Oh, I didn't notice that there's something to be installed additionally. So, not yet. Doing so and will come back soon. Thanks so far!
OK, I've installed CUDA Toolkit now, and again, I restarted my computer but, there's nothing happening, nothing changing. Still no dropdown list for computing device at render section.

I also tried to reset to "NONE" instead of CUDA, restarting Blender again, and again setting to CUDA, but nothing happens. Seems to be a bug in blender? Please help...

stiv

Post by stiv »

Did you install the CUDA software?

blenderrender

Post by blenderrender »

stiv wrote:Did you install the CUDA software?
Which one do you mean exactly? I just installed the CUDA Toolkit from nvidia now. Did I miss anything?

I tried to track this problem and found the following: Normally yo ucan see three dropdown fields at render tab. But I only have one. If I look into the python source I just find this:

Code: Select all

class RENDER_PT_render(RenderButtonsPanel, Panel):
    bl_label = "Render"
    COMPAT_ENGINES = {'BLENDER_RENDER'}

def draw(self, context):
        layout = self.layout

rd = context.scene.render

row = layout.row(align=True)
        row.operator("render.render", text="Render", icon='RENDER_STILL')
        row.operator("render.render", text="Animation", icon='RENDER_ANIMATION').animation = True
        row.operator("render.play_rendered_anim", text="Play", icon='PLAY')

layout.prop(rd, "display_mode", text="Display")
As you can see, there's nothing about any further buttons. Or is that source just an output? But where is it being generated?

Of course I've checked my CUDA before, and I must say: CUDA is working generally, but blender does not detect right, or in user preferences only, but not in render tab. I still cannot change from CPU to GPU rendering there. :/

http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-gettin ... index.html - All these steps are ok.

Trirop

Post by Trirop »

I have the same problem with my ATI Fire pro v3750 :cry:
There is nothing in the dropdown menu :(
What do I have to download to make it work?