smoke domain causes system crash

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

throwcode

smoke domain causes system crash

Post by throwcode »

Hi all, I'm new to Blender and have recently successfully completed the two sample animation programs (Gingerbread Man).

Now I am trying to get into the reason I downloaded Blender. Toward this end I tried to follow several examples on how to create fire from the Internet. Though the examples seem fairly straight forward. I cannot get the application to create a smoke domain. I have also tried to use the quick effect approach, No joy. And because I am using the latest release 2.68a I also tried Smoke & Fire and the Fire along with the Smoke from the physics tab. No joy.

The system crashes and apparently at least some of the time corrupts the file so that it can not be recovered. This can effect both the file saved just prior to the crash and the recover last session facility. In this case it brings up the last uncorrupted file.

Is it possible to make a fire animation without a domain?

How do I get an earlier release of the Blender application? I noticed that the Internet examples were done on 2.6.

I am running Windows Vista 32 bit.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

TC

throwcode

Post by throwcode »

Wrong forum? Okay I'll repost.

Sorry.

TC