2.49 to 2.68 transition advice needed

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Cephus

2.49 to 2.68 transition advice needed

Post by Cephus »

I've been hesitant about migrating to the newer versions of Blender. I've been using 2.49b for some time and happy with it, but support and compatibility are fading so I've been trying to retrain my fingers for 2.68a and learn my way around the new interface, which is quite a bit different than 2.49b. This has led to some quandaries.

(1) The installation is on Windows 7 with a Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500. The middle mouse button (button wheel) works in other applications, but in Blender 2.68a I have to double click the middle mouse to rotate the view or pan the view. This is pretty annoying. Can the preferences be set for a single click? Is there a way to emulate the old 2.49a interface? Should the interface even require a double click?

(2) I'm used to using the shorthand actions for G, S, and R in 2.49b. By shorthand actions, I mean left-click draw a straight line to grab, arc to rotate, and angle to size. These features seem to be absent in 2.68a. Did I miss a user preference to turn them on, or are they just not there any more?

(3) For 2.49b, I have a very handy keyboard reference layout for edit and object modes hanging above my computer. I found the one for 2.50 here: http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/1/14/Ke ... ut_250.png . Does one for 2.6x exist? Where can I find it? Is 2.5x similar enough to 2.6x that I should use the one for 2.5x?

(4) In 2.49b, there was another feature that I keep stumbling on in 2.68a. 2.49b allowed you to either right-click hold, or space bar to get a add/transform menu. I mostly used it for the add menu. That's no longer in 2.68. In fact, I can't find the add menu at all. I probably overlooked it, or it has a different name. What hot-key is it and what is it called?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cephus

Post by Cephus »

After over a week, no one seems to know the answers to these questions. I thought these basic enough that someone would be able to give advice, but apparently not. So, I'll answer my own questions for the benefit of future intrepid users of the new GUI. This is what I've learned over the past week.

(1) Blender is not compatible with all mice. A cheaper mouse works fine, as well as a more more expensive one. The mouse doesn't play well with Blender on another machine. Apparently de facto Blender mouse interfaces do not like Microsoft drivers. Preference Input Emulate 3 Button Mouse is a solution to this.

(2) Shorthand gestures are apparently gone and lost forever. Sadly, this was a useful and handy feature that will be missed by those familiar with the older interfaces.

(3) The 2.50 keyboard layout is not completely accurate to 2.68, although it is close and useful. At present, there doesn't seem to be a 2.68 keyboard layout. There is very good shortcut key information built into Blender, but quick glance at photo is more convenient.

(4) The space-bar menu is a Preference Addon called "3D View: Dynamic Spacebar Menu". Shift-A is the add menu.

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

2. There's apperently an addon for this: space_view3d_mouse_gesture

3. You can configure and look up shortcuts in the user preferences > input. If you need an overview, check this out:
http://www.blendernation.com/2013/04/22 ... shortcuts/
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Cephus

Post by Cephus »

In response to CoDEmanX:

(2) space_view3d_mouse_gesture does not seem to be included in the distribution of 2.68.0 r58537 (from late August 2013). Was this from an earlier release? Was it released in the last few days? Can it be found on another website?

(3) The shortcuts at http://www.blendernation.com/2013/04/22 ... shortcuts/ do not differentiate between edit and object functions. Take a look at the original post: http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/1/14/Ke ... ut_250.png . It has key functions of alt, control, and shift in both edit and object mode. The User Preferences Input is a great guide, but I've always kept a 11X17 print of the keyboard beside the computer for the version I was using. It's not a really big deal, but it's just nice to have. It's much quicker than opening several pages and searching for functions. I was just hoping that one existed.

Thanks for the help.

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX »

2. Google for that name, it is only available on two websites as it is not an official one

3. I worry you need to create your own to be up to date, use the user prefs > input to find out what is bound to what key
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Cephus

Post by Cephus »

(2) Thanks so much for that. For those following, the script can be found in the thread http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... g-a-script . It also explains why the script is not part of the current release. The script there seems to work.

(3) For now, I'm using the older ones. I don't think my accuracy in creating a timely one would surpass the usefulness of the existing one.

Thanks again.