APPLYING TEXTURES AND MATERIALS KIT

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

elliotka

APPLYING TEXTURES AND MATERIALS KIT

Post by elliotka » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:11 am

Hello I'm somewhat new to blender. I recently downloaded a stock 3d character and I am able to import the .obj into my blender file.

My download also included a folder of textures and materials with various JPGs of the character's clothing and skin etc.

How do I apply these different materials to my character without this entire JPG being the material? Do I have to somehow isolate these different parts of the materials before applying?

PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU!

Here is an example of what these stock image materials look like:
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... 806d77.png

[/img]

brasshat

Post by brasshat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:37 am

No, you don't have to (and, with most game engines, probably shouldn't) separate the image into individual components. The nickel version of what you need to do, is to select the faces to which each of the components of the image are to be applied, and use the smart unwrap option to arrange these faces in the uv editing window to map the various bits of the image to the desired bits of the mesh.

ns