rigging and skinning a proxy object

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

alan_4bit

rigging and skinning a proxy object

Post by alan_4bit »

Hi everyone!
I'm new to the forum, but I'm working with blender for a couple of months now.
I get pretty much everything, but there's still one pipeline issue that I'm missing : before switching to Blender I was working with Maya and I was used to reference file for every step of the pipeline ( es. Modelling -> reference the model in the shading file -> Shading -> reference the shading file in the rig file -> Rigging ....and so on).

Now I'm trying to do the same with blender, I got my model done and shaded ( in the same file ) and I want to reference it in a new file for the rigging, just to keep things clean and clear. If I use the append command I can edit the model, but I will miss future modifications of the base file. on the other hand if I use the link command and make it a proxy I can't enter in the weight paint mode...
my question is : is there a way to do what I'm trying to achieve or I have to do everything in the same file till the rig is done and than I can start linking the character?

Thank you so much for your kindness and patience!

Alan