Preferred Methods for making Apertures in Surfaces

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Tohron

Preferred Methods for making Apertures in Surfaces

Post by Tohron » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Hello, I've been trying to create a space mining outpost hub - an enclosed building that connects to other buildings, which means I had to create holes in the mesh to allow those connections. So far, I made an interior wall by duplicating the exterior mesh and scaling it down, then created holes by using Subdivide and Loop Cut & Slide to allow me to have faces right where I wanted a hole (I then deleted the faces).

However, it's gotten to the point where neither Subdivide or Loop Cut & Slide will work on certain faces. Here's a picture of what I have so far: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j252/ ... ostPic.png
(the diagonal faces are the ones where the subdivision tools don't work)

So basically, I was wondering if other people had more effective ways of inserting apertures into a surface - for doors, windows, or whatever. Thanks!

brasshat

Post by brasshat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:35 pm

I have different methods I use depending upon the circumstances at hnd. In the case of the photo you show, I would likely create loop cuts by hand, by selecing edges I wanted cut, and using he subdivide tool to divide the edges to create the number of segments I wanted.

ns