Getting rid of Blender origin point

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Failkoso

Getting rid of Blender origin point

Post by Failkoso » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Refer to the item circled in red.

I think I've heard this being referred to as the 'origin point' in tutorials, but I have no idea how to get rid of it. It's set by left-clicking with the mouse (but you probably already knew that). I accidentally left clicked while trying to render my mesh, and now I can't get rid of it.

Trying to scale the top row of vertices while this 'origin point' thing is in the scene causes them all to magnetize towards it. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

I tried Googling 'Blender left click', and 'Blender origin point' but nothing showed up. I'm not even sure if I'm calling it by the right name.

Also, is there any easy way to identify what a specific feature is called within the program? I don't want to have to resort to the forums all the time, but the manual navigates via functionality and not input commands so I don't know where I am supposed to look.

P.S
I read the stickies, and I know this is a primarily dev-based forum.

I come from a country where IP addresses are dynamic and shared based on ISP, and it appears that Blender-Artists is one of those sites with mass paranoia based on IP address. I suppose my ISP has assigned me an IP a spammer was using previously, so Blender-Artists has forbidden me from registering manually.

I now have to email them directly to have my account created instead (which I have no idea how long it will take), and since I'm looking for an answer asap I have to resort to this forum.

I wish sites would stop discriminating against me just because my ISP shares IP addresses, this is practically the fifteenth time I've been wrongly blocked from registering on a forum. It's annoying the hell out of me.

stiv

Re: Getting rid of Blender origin point

Post by stiv » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:23 pm

The 'origin point' thingie is called the 3D Cursor. You can't 'get rid of it'. It is like the cursor in a word processor.

In addition to being the point where new objects are created it is also used in various ways for snapping and rotating objects. There are menu choices affecting how and when it gets involved.
Failkoso wrote: I come from a country where IP addresses are dynamic and shared based on ISP, and it appears that Blender-Artists is one of those sites with mass paranoia based on IP address. I suppose my ISP has assigned me an IP a spammer was using previously, so Blender-Artists has forbidden me from registering manually.
I wish sites would stop discriminating against me just because my ISP shares IP addresses, this is practically the fifteenth time I've been wrongly blocked from registering on a forum. It's annoying the hell out of me.
I feel your pain about being lumped in with Evil Spammers, but it is not discrimination or paranoia, rather self-defense.

Disclaimer: I have no idea or involvement in B-A spam policies.

Here, we generally delete individual spams and only start blocking when the volume from a particular source becomes too annoying. When it does, we try to block as narrow a range of addresses as possible. This works reasonably well when ISPs create small virtual address blocks, and not so well when someone is using their countries national telecom provider.

I wish we did not have to do this, but given that most spam comes from particular places, it seems to be our best option. One spam-plagued summer, we began calling it Paki-spam, given it's origin from certain ISPs. Tehrasha has done a heroic job of trying to keep our forums usable.

brasshat

Post by brasshat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 pm

Stiv correctly noted that the object that is causing you confusuion is not the origin point, but the 3D cursor. If he mentioned that the origin point is the orange dot in the center of the mesh near the center of the viewport, I missed it.

Also, I surmise that the problem you are having can be corrected by selecting the proper pivot center. Two helpful things to know: you can move the 3D cursor by using the snap menu (SHIFT-Skey), for example, selecting the part of the object you wish to transform, and snapping the 3d Cursor to the (median point) of the selection. You can adjust the pivot center in the 3D viewport, in object and edit mode, just to the right of the "view" icon. \

ns