Copy object to different scene

The forums here are for Blender development. Questions and discussion about *using* Blender belong on blenderartists.org If your thread was moved here, you are probably in the wrong place.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ReinerS

Copy object to different scene

Post by ReinerS » Thu May 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi all,

this may be a silly question: Is there something like a "clipboard" in Blender? I need an easy way to copy an object with all its attributes (and textures etc) from one .blend file to another. I cannot find a straightforward way to do this. Seems to me the only way is open file 1, export the object, open file 2, import the object. But what exprot format should I use?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Reiner

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri May 12, 2006 1:47 am

shift+f1 [or file->append]

select the .blend

select "Object"

select one or more objects, and hit append

ReinerS

Post by ReinerS » Fri May 12, 2006 9:37 am

many thanks!

Reiner

mooncaine

This is really "Copy Object To A Different File"

Post by mooncaine » Fri May 03, 2013 11:09 pm

This is really "Copy Object To A Different File" (and it's good to know).

Each .blend file can have many "Scenes" (that's what blender calls them). This tip doesn't discuss how to move an object to a different scene.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 pm

I found the answer I needed.

To copy an object from one Scene to another in the same .blend file, select the object in 3D window and to Ctrl-L.

On popup menu, choose the scene you want to copy this object into.

I believe it's a linked copy (meaning, if you change the object's material, type of lamp, type of object, name... those things change in ALL scenes that this object's linked to).

You can animate its position, size, rotation without affecting its copy in the other scene, though.

I'm not sure what exactly stays linked, but the online docs for this are here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2 ... ace/Scenes

I'm grateful to theeth, who posted the Ctrl-L answer ten years ago(!). Great that it still works and that the forum still shows it.

jkcinci

Re: Copy object to different scene

Post by jkcinci » Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 am

ReinerS wrote:Hi all,

this may be a silly question: Is there something like a "clipboard" in Blender? I need an easy way to copy an object with all its attributes (and textures etc) from one .blend file to another. I cannot find a straightforward way to do this. Seems to me the only way is open file 1, export the object, open file 2, import the object. But what exprot format should I use?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Reiner
I'm pretty sure there is no drag and drop or copy and paste function for this type of situation. What I usually do is save an extra copy of my blend file, Make sure you are in the scene that you want to add the object to and on the main menu at the top of the application, click on file append and browse to the extra blend file copy and go into the objects folder and select the object you want to add to the scene. This will be an independent copy of what you wanted and it will not be linked. Many times this is useful if your situation requires and independent copy and you don't want to go through all the work of completely recreating it. Hope this helps =)[/u]

kurageart

Post by kurageart » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am

mooncaine wrote:I found the answer I needed.

To copy an object from one Scene to another in the same .blend file, select the object in 3D window and to Ctrl-L.

On popup menu, choose the scene you want to copy this object into.

I believe it's a linked copy (meaning, if you change the object's material, type of lamp, type of object, name... those things change in ALL scenes that this object's linked to).

You can animate its position, size, rotation without affecting its copy in the other scene, though.

I'm not sure what exactly stays linked, but the online docs for this are here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2 ... ace/Scenes

I'm grateful to theeth, who posted the Ctrl-L answer ten years ago(!). Great that it still works and that the forum still shows it.
CTRL-L is not coping: is linking an object... so, any animation key will be copied as well, and editing animation in the scene 2 will affect scene 1.

I'm facing as well the need to be able to link an object to another scene, linking EVERYTHING except the animation... is that possible?

jkcinci

Post by jkcinci » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:15 pm

What I have done that always works for me is:

1. Make an extra copy of your blend file.

2. Open the original blend file and scene.

3. In 3DView/Info Menu(Top left corner of the screen)
click on /File/Append.

4. When the file browser window opens, search for your extra blend file
and open the object folder and select the object you want and click
Append/Link in the upper right corner of the screen.

This makes an independent copy of the object. Nothing is linked.

The following has nothing to do with the Append process above, however, in File/User Preferences/Editing you can select the different attributes of an object that that can be set for duplicating and linking. Different blender builds have different options here also. So if you could indicate the Blender build that you are working with, it would be very helpful.[/quote]