Keyboard and Mouse issues

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ochensati

Keyboard and Mouse issues

Post by ochensati » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:30 am

Hello,
I have tried to look around and haven't seen anyone else complaining about this. I have installed blender on 4 different windows machines with a variety of different arcitectures and on none do the mouse or the keyboard work correctly.

The mouse: Double buttons do not move the scene. All kinds of unexpected behavior does result, mostly moves objects around in the scene.

the Keyboard: none of the arrow keys result in motion of the scene. once again all kinds of unexpected results. I have tried to turn the num lock key on and off but nothing there.

I have tried this with ubuntu and everything works great. I am not much of a developer at the moment, just though I would let you all know. All the windows machines were completely updated XP boxes, other than that they range across the board in hardware.

joeedh

Post by joeedh » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:59 am

Um. . .there is not standard for 3D apps. blender is simply different from what you're used to.

Joe

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:35 am

hahaha
I have the same problem with microsoft office, I've installed it on all my machines but none function correct. Spacebar never pops up a toolbox, and F1 gives me a weird box with some sort of text instead of the normal file loading...

ochensati

Post by ochensati » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:05 pm

joeedh

I know how blender works. I can use it just fine in Ubuntu. The mouse and the keyboard to not seem to work on any of the windows machines that I have tried to install it on. Clicking both mouse buttons does not rotate the view, and the numpad buttons do not adjust the views either. I have a dual boot machine with ubuntu and windows and the ubuntu works, but the windows is unusable.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

teppic

Post by teppic » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:26 pm

Blender uses the middle mouse button to rotate the scene. The use of chords, i.e. pressing both left and right buttons at once, is a setting in the OS which usually emulates the middle mouse button. Apparently windows does not do this by default.

joeedh

Post by joeedh » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:46 pm

you can emulate middle mouse button by pressing alt-left mouse in blender.

Joe

ochensati

Post by ochensati » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:04 am

beautiful. and to think i have been running back and forth trying to get things rendered and done and all it took was an alt key!

Thanks