Windows Vista Blender

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

filippo333

Windows Vista Blender

Post by filippo333 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:41 pm

Will Blender 3D be compatable with Windows Vista? I bought Windows Vista Home Premium edition and currently there are afew bugs with blender eg. textures are not found, textures do not render... Does anyone know about any compability issues blender has with Windows Vista? Thanks if you've posted a message.

Kind Regards, Fil :D

Falgor

Post by Falgor » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:42 pm

If the textures are not found, then they cannot be rendered either. You must be talking about images. If you mean you've loaded a blend file which you created in Windows Xp, it might be that there has been a change in the drive letter (from D: to E: for example). That's just a possibility.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:56 pm

I've been using (and developing) Blender for some time now on Windows Vista Home Premium without any problem. As Falgor suggests, make sure that the paths in your .blends are ok, especially if they were saved with absolute paths.

For instance, the user home directory is now normally under C:\Users\Username\Documents instead of "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents"

/Nathan

ysvry

Post by ysvry » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:52 pm

doesnt work on my vista premium too, computer is brand new so drivers are up to date.

tengwar3

Post by tengwar3 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:31 am

I got it to work on Vista!!!!! Its simple, down load the full version (the transportable one, not the install file) then extract the files and run it from there, don't put it into your program files though.... other than that it works just fine!!!!!

blenderian

Post by blenderian » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:38 am

It works fine for me with window installer on vista home premium, the one with .msi.
You might need administrative privilege to run the installation file because it will access the registry.

Long

bmud

Post by bmud » Tue May 01, 2007 3:14 pm

I was curious about something... Isn't Vista 64 bit, and Blender not? How is it running at all unless I'm wrong. 32 bit emulation, right?

I wish Blender was 64 bit, so I could use it with Ubuntu - which has no 32 bit emulation.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue May 01, 2007 6:55 pm

The Vista my laptop is running is not 32bit by a long shot. Blender works fine with it. AFAIK kaito is working on making blender 64-bit clean again, so be patient :)

/Nathan

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Wed May 02, 2007 6:37 am

On my laptop that is running vista premium (came preinstalled), the game engine is not finding the location of image textures and the python shaders aren't seeming to work either.

It has an NVidia 7600 so it should be plenty powerful enough.

LetterRip

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Wed May 02, 2007 9:51 pm

There are a few .blends in the test files that contain references to the marble texture. They work fine.

http://download.blender.org/demo/test/p ... iles-5.zip

Can you give any specific sample that doesn't work?

/Nathan

Guardian 452

Post by Guardian 452 » Mon May 14, 2007 4:07 pm

This has been posted in a couple of places, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here as well...

When using box selection under Vista, you cannot see the cursor! I know there are a number of people who have had this problem. You can still do the select, but you can't see the cursor...have to rely on guesswork to know if you're actually selecting what you're after.

The other big problem users (including me) seem to be having involves the mouse. The mouse wheel will only function in one direction...it zooms out. This translates over to the scrolling/panning effects....you can only go in one direction!

Finally (I think I'm the only one who's mentioned this so far) when I start up Blender, I don't see the splash screen. It just loads right to the main screen with the default cube. What happens then is every time a menu pops up (like when you go to add a mesh) the splash screen (or at least a piece of it) appears on the screen behind the menu...when the menu disappears you can see the piece of the splash screen revealed!

I just installed 2.44, and the same issues are still occurring. Is this a driver issue, or something else? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dongeroo

Post by Dongeroo » Wed May 23, 2007 9:18 am

Guardian 452 wrote:This has been posted in a couple of places, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here as well...

When using box selection under Vista, you cannot see the cursor! I know there are a number of people who have had this problem. You can still do the select, but you can't see the cursor...have to rely on guesswork to know if you're actually selecting what you're after.

The other big problem users (including me) seem to be having involves the mouse. The mouse wheel will only function in one direction...it zooms out. This translates over to the scrolling/panning effects....you can only go in one direction!

Finally (I think I'm the only one who's mentioned this so far) when I start up Blender, I don't see the splash screen. It just loads right to the main screen with the default cube. What happens then is every time a menu pops up (like when you go to add a mesh) the splash screen (or at least a piece of it) appears on the screen behind the menu...when the menu disappears you can see the piece of the splash screen revealed!

I just installed 2.44, and the same issues are still occurring. Is this a driver issue, or something else? Any ideas?

Thanks!
I have the same problem, running on windows vista. Its not a major problem and something you can get used to.....Vista has quite a few glitches running with different software programs eh!?
More annoyingly the knife tool doesn't work at all so trying to cut faces is a no no the screen just freezes and so it has to be done on a different PC Is this an issue that any one else is having and if so will there be a bug fix in the future to sort out any issues that Blender is having with Vista or is there something simple that we can do?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Wed May 23, 2007 9:49 am

Those are both driver bugs, please complain to your graphics driver vendor.

LetterRip

Schyfis

Post by Schyfis » Sun May 27, 2007 9:59 pm

I'm having an odd problem after upgrading to vista.
When I was running XP home, everything worked fine.
On vista with the same computer (no major hardware changes), the splash screen and every single menu appears to have a transition animation.
I know Blender does not have transitions for menus (verified on my XP laptop), so there must be a problem with Blender and vista.

The "transition" is a kind of slow wipe from bottom to top on the splash screen and a wipe from bottom to top when menus disappear only. They are normal when they appear.

Can someone help with this? It tends to slow down my work with Blender.

Steve F

Post by Steve F » Sun May 27, 2007 10:17 pm

I had the same thing on windows 2003 svr at first. After updating my video card drivers I found my video card hardware accelaration was set to minumum. Once I set it to max it worked as I expected.