Windows Vista Blender

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mjordan

Post by mjordan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:04 pm

Guardian 452 wrote: The other big problem users (including me) seem to be having involves the mouse. The mouse wheel will only function in one direction...it zooms out. This translates over to the scrolling/panning effects....you can only go in one direction!
This problem still apply to me... :(
I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit with all the updates available, but this problem is still there.... Anyone know how to solve this? :(
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
You can't live with women, you can't live without women.
Fuzzy logic example.

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:48 pm

mjordan,

I don't have Vista myself, but the description of your problem reminded me of something I encountered in XP.

Apparently Windows has at least two type scrolls, something like normal and fastscroll.

I work with a tablet, when I set the scrolldial to a different type of scroll, I get the same problem 'it only zooms out'...

A solution for Vista could be setting the scrolltype that applies to your mousewheel in the mousesettings, if possible... beware this could also be a generic windows-behaviour-choice, then the option won't be a part of 'the mousesettings' but 'windows behaviour'...

Hope this helps,
Niels

lorem

vista 64 home basic

Post by lorem » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:40 pm

hello everybody,
does anybody have experience with blender and yafaray running vista 64?
Everything works fine to me but when I push material preview button in python script exporter it colapses with this message.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2UPN_9

thanks a lot for any help

lorem

neighborlee

Post by neighborlee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:49 pm

jesterKing wrote:I've been using (and developing) Blender for some time now on Windows Vista Home Premium without any problem. As Falgor suggests, make sure that the paths in your .blends are ok, especially if they were saved with absolute paths.

For instance, the user home directory is now normally under C:\Users\Username\Documents instead of "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents"

/Nathan
I am now using Vista home basic, and I 'was' having no troubles with blender..but now I cant even run fullscreen without obvious and annoying slowdowns of menu and other editing fiunctions,- and wondering if anyone knows what I can do to fix this..I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling blender to no avail.

AMD 3200+, 1gbram, 7600 GT 256mbPCIE and 320gb seagarte Barr. sata2 HD with asus AI mobo.

I have disabled resorte points in vista which has dramatically helped , in addition to making sure I let apps handle AA and other graphical things.. I also have computer set to middle range of performance and qualilty so I think I've got about everything accounted for to get the best performance.

XSI, silo3d and wings3d all work splendily in fullscreen so I am clueless what is wrong and hope someone knows whats up here :)

thx
lee
http://heartseed.sf.net
One Game at a time-

lorem

Vista slowdown

Post by lorem » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Regarding slowdown in Vista. I had experienced the same an than I have changed the new look of windows to the old one (without the rounded START button) and it helped. When something is placed on top of blenders window it slows probably blender down. Hope it will help you.

lorem

neighborlee

Re: Vista slowdown

Post by neighborlee » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:17 pm

lorem wrote:Regarding slowdown in Vista. I had experienced the same an than I have changed the new look of windows to the old one (without the rounded START button) and it helped. When something is placed on top of blenders window it slows probably blender down. Hope it will help you.

lorem
Hey what do you know...that fixed it thx...;))

What a shame my poor OLD 7600 GT can't handle vista at its finest ? LOL

I guess this means I must upgrade CPU and ram...what do you have ?

thx again :))
lee
One Game at a time-

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:15 am

While Vista will no doubt be happier with more of everything, what this means is DO NOT USE AERO with Blender.

neighborlee

Post by neighborlee » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:46 am

stiv wrote:
While Vista will no doubt be happier with more of everything, what this means is DO NOT USE AERO with Blender.
well that is the sad thing..I dont have aero h ere..I have vista home basic and it does not come with aero , so this slowness was something else entirely..

cheers
lee
One Game at a time-

someone9999

Post by someone9999 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:20 am

I don't know if this has been asked, but I can't seem to find this anywhere. (i've been searching for a really long time, (longer than 2 months)).

I have tried all the things in this thread but no matter what i do, the game engine will not work if I have made one change to anything during that session. Ex: I make a simple game where you can move a square. If I try to play it during that session I get the gray screen up top. What I have to do is save the file, then restart Blender, open up the save file, then test it. Also I can only test the game once, since it will give me the gray screen again if I exit testing mode and go back. Please Help.

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Edit: Forgot to mention. I run on Windows Vista Ultimate with 2 monitors.

karlywarly

Post by karlywarly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:39 pm

mjordan wrote:
Guardian 452 wrote: The other big problem users (including me) seem to be having involves the mouse. The mouse wheel will only function in one direction...it zooms out. This translates over to the scrolling/panning effects....you can only go in one direction!
This problem still apply to me... :(
I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit with all the updates available, but this problem is still there.... Anyone know how to solve this? :(
Do you have a Microsoft Intellimouse? There is a problem with these in blender which be solved with AutoHotKey ( see http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108244 ).

Regards,
Karl
Karl R. Wilcox
karl@karlwilcox.com

st1jn

Problem solved

Post by st1jn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm

I don't know how many of you are still struggling with this problem,

But don't worry, I'm here to help you out :wink:

Now, first of all, I was having the same problems as mentioned earlier; no start up banner, no selection box, etc... and currently running under Vista. If you do not have these problems, i can't assure this method will work (not that i can otherwise but still).

What I did that solved my problem was to open up an explore window (right click the start menu, for all 50+ out there, no offence) and went to C:\program files

Here, look for blender foundation, double click, then double click the folder blender. You should now see a list with some files. Right-click on the blender.exe file and go to 'properties'. In Vista, you should see a menu saying compatibility [might need administrator rights, don't know]. Click it, and click the box saying "run this program in compatibility mode:" and select Windows XP service pack 2

After I did this, Blender seemed to run fine (i haven't actually tested it much yet, felt like I should inform you lot first :wink: ) so I'd say give it a try.

Good luck,
make something nice

spmion

Re: Problem solved

Post by spmion » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:51 pm

st1jn wrote:I don't know how many of you are still struggling with this problem,

Now, first of all, I was having the same problems as mentioned earlier; no start up banner, no selection box, etc... and currently running under Vista. If you do not have these problems, i can't assure this method will work (not that i can otherwise but still).

What I did that solved my problem was to open up an explore window (right click the start menu, for all 50+ out there, no offence) and went to C:\program files

Here, look for blender foundation, double click, then double click the folder blender. You should now see a list with some files. Right-click on the blender.exe file and go to 'properties'. In Vista, you should see a menu saying compatibility [might need administrator rights, don't know]. Click it, and click the box saying "run this program in compatibility mode:" and select Windows XP service pack 2

After I did this, Blender seemed to run fine (i haven't actually tested it much yet, felt like I should inform you lot first :wink: ) so I'd say give it a try.

Good luck,
make something nice
This worked great for me too! Thanks for the tips!

Nemo Krad

Re: Problem solved

Post by Nemo Krad » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:54 pm

spmion wrote:
st1jn wrote:I don't know how many of you are still struggling with this problem,

Good luck,
make something nice
This worked great for me too! Thanks for the tips!
:( Didn't work for me. I dont have service pack 2 though, dldng now, will let you know how it goes.

When I set it to XP compatability, it runs blender but just sits there and locks up..

As I say, will let you know once I have put Vista SP 2 on here.

Nemo Krad

Post by Nemo Krad » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Nope, still no good...

It runs, I get the cmd window pop up telling me python was found just as it does if I don't set XP compatability, yet the blender editor window just freezes, no panels get loaded, no menu, nothing, just a grey window with the title...

Any ideas anyone?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:07 am

Nemo Krad wrote:Nope, still no good...

It runs, I get the cmd window pop up telling me python was found just as it does if I don't set XP compatability, yet the blender editor window just freezes, no panels get loaded, no menu, nothing, just a grey window with the title...

Any ideas anyone?
The freezing of the window IMO points at driver troubles. If you haven't already, update to the latest driver version for your card. If that didn't help, try turning down hw acceleration (and turn down all graphical effects - aero, desktop effects, animated menus, everything - just drop back to windows classical).

/Nathan