Windows Vista Blender

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Nemo Krad

Post by Nemo Krad » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:36 am

jesterKing wrote:
Nemo Krad wrote:Nope, still no good...

It runs, I get the cmd window pop up telling me python was found just as it does if I don't set XP compatability, yet the blender editor window just freezes, no panels get loaded, no menu, nothing, just a grey window with the title...

Any ideas anyone?
The freezing of the window IMO points at driver troubles. If you haven't already, update to the latest driver version for your card. If that didn't help, try turning down hw acceleration (and turn down all graphical effects - aero, desktop effects, animated menus, everything - just drop back to windows classical).

/Nathan
I have the latest drivers on there, I have not had the laptop long and so updated them as soon as I got the no box issue.

If it's the drivers, why does it run fine (without the select box showing and no opening splash screen) on all other comparabilities and even no compatability?

I have (under the compatability) restricted the lot and still get the issue :(

Guess I am just going to have to run Blender on my old lappy...

Thanks for the help though :)

Nemo Krad

Post by Nemo Krad » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Nemo Krad wrote:
jesterKing wrote:
Nemo Krad wrote:Nope, still no good...

It runs, I get the cmd window pop up telling me python was found just as it does if I don't set XP compatability, yet the blender editor window just freezes, no panels get loaded, no menu, nothing, just a grey window with the title...

Any ideas anyone?
The freezing of the window IMO points at driver troubles. If you haven't already, update to the latest driver version for your card. If that didn't help, try turning down hw acceleration (and turn down all graphical effects - aero, desktop effects, animated menus, everything - just drop back to windows classical).

/Nathan
I have the latest drivers on there, I have not had the laptop long and so updated them as soon as I got the no box issue.

If it's the drivers, why does it run fine (without the select box showing and no opening splash screen) on all other comparabilities and even no compatability?

I have (under the compatability) restricted the lot and still get the issue :(

Guess I am just going to have to run Blender on my old lappy...

Thanks for the help though :)
Well, sorted it out in the end, just went from Aero to Vista basic....

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:14 am

Good - so it is some sort of driver problem.

/Nathan

Nemo Krad

Post by Nemo Krad » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:29 am

jesterKing wrote:Good - so it is some sort of driver problem.

/Nathan
I guess it could be, but I would imagine that if it was a driver issue it would occur across ALL settings and not just in one.

I guess blender has not been written to take into account what ever Aero does to cause this issue.

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Nemo Krad wrote:I guess it could be, but I would imagine that if it was a driver issue it would occur across ALL settings and not just in one.
No, this is one of the signs of a driver problem.
I guess blender has not been written to take into account what ever Aero does to cause this issue.
Blender uses industry standard OpenGL for all its screen drawing. The problem is that composting window managers ( Aero, compiz, KDE desktop effects ) do not handle OpenGL applications very well yet. On some platforms ( graphics card + driver + window manager + operating system ) they simply do not work properly. On some, they are ok.

Compiz has gotten better over time as bugs are fixed. I would not expect to see Aero evolve in the same way since Microsoft is more invested in their own DirectX graphics.

Nemo Krad

Post by Nemo Krad » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:35 pm

stiv wrote:
Nemo Krad wrote:I guess it could be, but I would imagine that if it was a driver issue it would occur across ALL settings and not just in one.
No, this is one of the signs of a driver problem.
Blender uses industry standard OpenGL for all its screen drawing. The problem is that composting window managers ( Aero, compiz, KDE desktop effects ) do not handle OpenGL applications very well yet. On some platforms ( graphics card + driver + window manager + operating system ) they simply do not work properly. On some, they are ok.

Compiz has gotten better over time as bugs are fixed. I would not expect to see Aero evolve in the same way since Microsoft is more invested in their own DirectX graphics.
Excellent explanation, thank you :) I can see how it is a driver issue now.

Main thing for me is I have it working. Thanks all.

batpox

Slowly disappearing menus. Problem found and solved.

Post by batpox » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 pm

I just thought I'd post here that the slowly disappearing menus were in my Blender 2.49 and the benchmark draw iterations was about 400 (with a GeForce 8300) on Windows 7. But once I went to Nvidia and picked up the latest drivers (which have OpenGL support) all is well again and benchmark draw iterations are about 2000.
"Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance"