NAMED LAYERS HAS BEEN BORN!

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ace1

NAMED LAYERS HAS BEEN BORN!

Post by ace1 »

Blender now has layer naming capability.The new layer naming UI is fully syncronized with the Blender's current layer system and is fully compatable.
This feature also has the ability to save the layer names in the .blend file so that they are intergrated into the user's workflow.The UI was kept simple pending feedback.More features will come later.Also as of now, only scene layers have the capability.In the near future bone layers will have layer naming capability.

A patch has been submitted to the patch tracker and a full build can be downloaded at Graphicall.org.

Thanks to Aligorith,BeBraw,and Letterip :D :D :D for helping me navigate through the codebase.Now on to the third new feature!
DIGIMATOR

toastbusters

Post by toastbusters »

Hi!

I'm glad to see that named layers is finally integrated. Am I mistaken in that the only place where the layer names are visible is in the layers tab behind the modifiers?

What would really benefit me is the following features added to the layers listed in order of usefulness (more useful to lesser):

-Ability to have an arbitrary number of layers in a given project
-Ability to assign one or more layers as being unrenderable, so objects on said layer will only appear in the viewport, regardless of whether it's visible at rendertime.
-Ability to make objects on a given layer unselectable, so they don't get in the way
-Ability to have a layer "hierarchy" to manage a large amount of layers, including inheritable properties.

Some of the most useful stuff is already there, such as lighting and assigning objects to multiple layers.

A complete and robust layer system like this would be a godsend to people working on a large project. That said, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from this. I don't know how the layers are implemented, though, so I'm not sure how difficult this would be, or if it's already there.

But anyway, thanks for the hard work, looks good so far.
Witty Comment

ace1

Post by ace1 »

A new patch and a build will be uploaded between tonight and tomorrow with some changes to the UI.At this point,I'm trying to consolidate Blender's existing layer sytem into a workflow friendly enviroment.
A lot of progress has been made and the more I have come to understand the code the more I found I can do with it.Thanks for the feedback! :D :D :D
DIGIMATOR

toastbusters

Post by toastbusters »

Hey,

The fact that you're accepting feedback is what makes your work awesome :D

I appreciate the fact that you're improving the layers. For a long time, that has been a bit of a crutch for blender, and with the features I mentioned above that would really help with workflow; especially for larger projects. Since I'm working on just such a project that would benefit from this, I have reason to show interest :)

Keep it up, I look forward to your update.
Witty Comment

Metsys

Colored Layer Buttons

Post by Metsys »

I'm really glad someone is improving the layer system. I use layers all the time and this will help.

One thing that I'd really, REALLY like is the ability to change the color of those small layer buttons. Having them color coded would be a great help so I can remember what layer has what in it. Also, when I open up someone else's .blend file I have to go through all 20 layers just to understand what's going on. What layer(s) are the bones on? What layer has all of the lighting. If they where color coded, I could easily tell which layers have important stuff in them, and I'd be able to remember it just by looking at those small buttons. Simply giving us the option to change the color of the button will go a long way.

One thing we might want to push is a standardized color system: lights on yellow, bones on pink, meshes on gray, etc, just so people can understand where things are at a glance.

ace1

Post by ace1 »

All the above suggestions are being seriously considered because a pro layer system is an important and underestimated part of a production pipeline.Why settle for a system thats "good enough".An upgrade is needed and has been a feature request since 2003.Time to move on it!
Keep the feedback commin' and Thanks! :D :D :D
DIGIMATOR

toastbusters

Post by toastbusters »

Excellent news!

I'd be happy to compile your updates to offer feedback. This will add so much to Blender from a productivity standpoint it's not even funny. (not to mention that it'll be one less feature from other software that I'll miss using)

Looking forward to updates! :)
Witty Comment