OSX Compile Errors

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Post Reply
forTis
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 am

OSX Compile Errors

Post by forTis »

So for a while I was able to get Blender to compile on OSX Tiger (10.4.11) using Jens config.py file and the posts here:

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12411
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11940
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12348

Today I decided to go back and attempt to update from SVN, since it'd been awhile since I'd done a fresh compile. Well of course, it did not work, I got an error message:

Code: Select all

Linking program ==> 'blender'
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (/Users/usrdid/Blender/lib/darwin-8.x.i386/iconv/lib) does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (/Users/usrdid/Blender/lib/darwin-8.x.i386/ffmpeg/lib) does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libfreetype.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [/Users/usrdid/Blender/trunkbuild/darwin/bin/blender] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
Compiled using Scons.

I've already attempted to reinstall (to /usr/lib) a new freetype, but no go. The only potential cause I can think of for this would be either the uninstallation of Darwine (which I've installed/uninstalled before without it interfering) or macports (which I uninstalled, since I no longer needed it).

Any suggestions?

Jens
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by Jens »

Hi forTis
I did not do anything other installing dev-tools, scons and svn.
I think your problem is you enabled ffmpeg, this will not work yet.
Iconv is in usr/lib already and should work normally, but is build
dynamic every time, cause it is used by gettext too and is linked
somewhere in the deep.

set ffmpeg to 'false' and let´s see whats going on then...

Jens

forTis
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 am

Post by forTis »

Thanks for the reply,

The original error was with ffmpeg set to false. (darwin-config.py has WITH_BF_FFMPEG = 'false').

Any other suggestions?

forTis
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 am

Post by forTis »

So it took me 4 months of lack of compile depression to finally get to work on this (sorry if its taboo to revive an old thread as well), but through a Frankensteining of Jens's file and the default file (combined with creative googling, otools, and some other voodoo), I finally got it to compile with scons with one hitch (albeit its one I can live with/work around).

So the hitch is that when the application bundle is created, the file placed as the blender binary in the MacOS directory is wrong, with the correct one generated outside of the actual application (as well as the application bundle being named 'blender' instead of 'Blender'). As such, its an invalid program according to OSX. The fix is to rename the app to Blender and replace the fake binary with the correct one, but I was wondering if this is default behavior or if there is a way to correct it.

Jens
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by Jens »

Hi
Yeah indeed, this is a very old thread !!!!

Best is to checkout the newest SVN and make sure to have
the actual darwin-config.py used. It is completely overhauled,
compiles fine with ffmpeg too and is universal to get either
an Intel or PPC-build. (inclusive platform-spezific optimize-flags)

The only tweaks are needed when compiling from 10.5 afaik.
(It is commented in the confi ).

So copy the complete dawin-config.py to blender.dir and rename
it to user-config.py, the do your tweaking there - thats the
recommended way now.

Greetz...Jens

Post Reply