Will it be possible to use the UI layer in new app someday?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

reed

Will it be possible to use the UI layer in new app someday?

Post by reed »

Hi, I've been hearing a bit about some of the internal changes to Blender that may be coming up in 2.5.

I've always liked Blender's interface concept, and I've always wanted to use the interface for other applications. With the new UI/event changes, do you think it would be possible? That is, possible to use the interface system but with my own window types, my own tools, etc., removing all (or most) of Blender's? What if the UI code were in a library?

Thanks

Reed

apoclypse

Re: Will it be possible to use the UI layer in new app somed

Post by apoclypse »

reed wrote:Hi, I've been hearing a bit about some of the internal changes to Blender that may be coming up in 2.5.

I've always liked Blender's interface concept, and I've always wanted to use the interface for other applications. With the new UI/event changes, do you think it would be possible? That is, possible to use the interface system but with my own window types, my own tools, etc., removing all (or most) of Blender's? What if the UI code were in a library?

Thanks

Reed
i second that. I would love to use the same widgeting libraries used in blender in another app. Have you guys thought about splitting the ghost library into its own general purpose widgeting system?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Re: Will it be possible to use the UI layer in new app somed

Post by jesterKing »

apoclypse wrote:i second that. I would love to use the same widgeting libraries used in blender in another app. Have you guys thought about splitting the ghost library into its own general purpose widgeting system?
GHOST *is* already a seperate library ( https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blen ... tern/ghost and https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/ghost/ , but the latter one is not really maintained). GHOST does only window level stuff, (pre)process events and such.

Blender's widget code lives in src/, so that's the one you'd want as library.

It is true that with the event refactor it should be much more feasible to split the widget code into a much more library-like entity. Currently it's not really possible (apart from copy/pasting the code and using a similar event approach).

/Nathan