Using Blender GUI Api

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

levye

Using Blender GUI Api

Post by levye » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 am

Hi folks
I am pretty impressed with Blender's GUI it is really great!
I want to use it for a game project and wondering if I can use it?
I downloaded the source code but couldn't find the UI part? is it implicit/embeded to the blender project or it is me who couldn't find it as a different project?

briefly is it possible to use the blender gui in another project? if so How?

thanks already!

stiv

Post by stiv » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Blender uses its own UI toolkit, but it was not written as a library. In 2.5x there is a greater separation between UI and code, but separating them is not really feasible.

bmud

Post by bmud » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:00 pm

I think it would be great for someone to come up with a better answer -- even if it is esoteric and lengthy. There are a lot of applications that could benefit from Blender's GUI ideologies. Gimp, Inkscape, and sure even games.

theshrike

Post by theshrike » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:00 pm

bmud wrote:I think it would be great for someone to come up with a better answer -- even if it is esoteric and lengthy. There are a lot of applications that could benefit from Blender's GUI ideologies. Gimp, Inkscape, and sure even games.
interesting topic,
I would also be interested in the reverse question - e.g. could you extract Blenders' renderer or datastructures processing to make a standalone offline tool, or a 'blender-compatable' with a completely different UI. Or imagine building a dedicated z-brush workalike using blender libraries.

I think this type of seperation should help open-source generally.. wider collection of smaller co-operating units rather than smaller number of centrally controlled monoliths

snifi

Post by snifi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 am

Some kind of content management system instead of old-fashioned version control system would be nice start. Have you any suggestions? I have lately been interested of Django, they are using it for newspaper production. But could the same idea functiate with coding production? Can we do it? Does any of you have experience of this?

killkrt

Post by killkrt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 pm

stiv wrote:Blender uses its own UI toolkit, but it was not written as a library. In 2.5x there is a greater separation between UI and code, but separating them is not really feasible.
I think Blender UI is very nice and I wonder how is implemented... Is it rendered using OpenGL? I'd like to develop a custom toolkit to create complex controls for a new visual programming language (or something like that), and it should be very flexible and high performance.
I've posted a question in SO (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3218 ... omplex-gui) about this topic.

Is any technical documentation available? Or is there a specific dev team working on it? (just to have some speech with them :))

Thank you.

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:07 pm

The UI is all OpenGL. Look for whatever docs are in the wiki The best reference is probably the blender source. You can chat with the coders on IRC at #blendercoders on freenode.net .

The source for other cross-platform toolkits like Qt and fltk is also available.