not finding python

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Aisthesis

not finding python

Post by Aisthesis » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:17 pm

While this isn't currently (i.e., while just learning to use blender) causing any noticeable problems, there's something not right concerning the recognition of python. I've installed Python 2.7 on my Windows 7 machine, and it works fine, but when I run my blender 2.49b, the console window says this:

"Compiled with Python version 2.6.2
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Checking for installed Python ... No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily."

I'm not to the point yet of creating my own or using others' custom scripts, but this doesn't seem right, and i do hope to get to that point eventually. the program itself runs fine for the functionality needed for a beginner such as myself.

what do i need to do to get blender to recognize my python?

Koilz

Post by Koilz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Sounds like you need to setup your environment variables so blender can find Python.. I could be wrong.

There should be "Doc" folder in the Python directory with instructions (Using Python -> Command line and environment -> Environment variables)

On win 7 goto (System Properties/Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables)

Modify the "System Variable" "Path" on th end, i usually add:

Code: Select all

;C:\Python27
Blender can interpret source scripts, but if you want to compile, that should do the trick.

Aisthesis

Post by Aisthesis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:12 am

added C:\Python27 to my Path variables and get a python interpreter when I type 'python' at command prompt (didn't check whether that was the case before adding the environment variable, but i'm guessing not, since i didn't see that entry under Path).

but... :( i still get the same blasted message when i open blender (?!)

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:38 am

"Compiled with Python version 2.6.2
Blender says Python 2.6, it wants 2.6

Attempts to fool it with env variables will only cause further troubles.

Aisthesis

Post by Aisthesis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:46 am

ah, ok, i was wondering about that.

can 2.6 and 2.7 run without problems on the same machine or is that asking for trouble?

Koilz

Post by Koilz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:03 am

I didnt know they were incompatible. Sorry about that.

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Aisthesis wrote:can 2.6 and 2.7 run without problems on the same machine or is that asking for trouble?
Each version of Python gets installed into its own directory so they do not conflict with each other.

One area where you might run into problems is if you install Python via your operating systems package manager rather than from the downloads at python.org. Package managers usually create a symlink to the last version of Python installed, so when you run 'python' from the command line, that is the one you get. This does not affect Blender since it has its own built-in Python interpreter and is only reading the libraries and modules from the appropriate version.

D.Vader

Post by D.Vader » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:40 pm

This Python seems like a freaking mess. I can't find version 2.6.2. Anyone got a link to it?

It seems t me this should be much easier. I am not a fan of programs that don't include everything in the package. If you are going to send me to an external website so "I can get what I need" then send me directly to the page that has what I need.

So far I just installed Blender and I am completely unimpressed. :(

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:05 pm

You are probably in over your head. Maybe best to just uninstall Blender now. I hear Maya is nice, though a little spendy for home use.

Still, if one chimp can do it, so can another. Only the the major version numbers have to match (the 2.6 part, for example). Last I looked at the releases page at python.org, the latest Python 2.6 was 2.6.6 which should work fine.

You can avoid all this nonsense by using Blender 2.5x which comes with its own included Python. But then you will have to bitch about the lack of tutorials and minimal documentation.

Note: Blender 2.56a is *almost* out!. Woo woo!

mgstrein

Post by mgstrein » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Don't listen to people who are condescending. It is usually a sign of insecurity.

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=python

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:56 am

Perhaps you are confusing condescension with impatience with people asking for help in a snotty way. Not the same.

Note 1: to repeat again, the latest Python 2.6 is 2.6.6 - available as always at http://www.python.org/download/releases/

Note 2: Blender 2.57 is at the Release Candidate stage AND it comes with its own version of Python. Woo woo!

jms

Post by jms » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:54 pm

It exists a version for Windows 32 bits and python 2.7 but not official at all.
http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/i ... p3?zoo=com
The file : win32blender249c-ini_p27.zip

In my school, hidden files and directories, mainly when they content the scripts and the internationlization data, are very annoying because they could not be found by the users with limited rights so they have been renamed "inisomething".
Zoo-3D.Blender, Ze French-Speaking Community SKB My french book about Blender.