.blend file format?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

stew

.blend file format?

Post by stew »

Does anyone know where I can find a description of the .blend file format (outside source/blender/blenloader, that is)?

The_Nerd

No

Post by The_Nerd »

I don't know where you can find it. But I am pretty sure it is a memory dump. So reading its contents would be quite difficult. I suggest you just do what ever you want in the source and re-compile.

stew

Post by stew »

Actually I wanted to write a .blend importer for an application, which is nothing that I could solve with a Blender recompile..

beatabix

Post by beatabix »

the point is, as a memory dump, the blender file is very difficult to decipher by other applications. It contains everything from objects and the relationships between them, to the state of every control in blender (buttons pressed, etc), even the screen layout.

Some people have had some progress deciphering the blender format, but to be honest, it would be much easier to write an exporter to your other app in python, rather an importer for the blend format. the new python API will make this much easier, with the new modules and such.

Another alternative is to wait for (or help with) the new BlendXML format that has been proposed. It will be a relatively simple matter to write an importer for another app once this format has been implemented.

later
BEAT