Cloth?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

hykëp

Cloth?

Post by hykëp » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:21 am

I have been looking for a cloth sim to blender for a while, and it seems that there is nothing, do eny of you guys know one?

Riskbreaker

Post by Riskbreaker » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:05 pm

There was one python script that was looking good.....until it mentions that it only simulates cloth for sphere collisions :?
Forget where it is......but i wouldnt recommend it.....

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:04 pm

Topixcloth you mean?

I don't have a URL either, but I doubt you'd want it anyway.

It was a good start though, too bad the author didn't push it forward.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

sten

Post by sten » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:08 pm

that script has never worked those few times I tried it...

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:17 pm

Never worked for me either, kept whining about missing DLLs...

I guess a built-in cloth simulator will probably be on the cards at some point for Blender, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, frankly, it would need a hell of a lot of work...

tbaldridge

There's one in the works

Post by tbaldridge » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:15 pm

I'm working on a built-in cloth simulator. It's still in the pre-coding stages, but I plan to have a working sample by the end of the month. At any rate, I hope to have it compleatly done by the end of the year. And after that, modify the code to support hair (since hair is really a modified form of cloth.

Timothy

Re: There's one in the works

Post by Timothy » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:45 am

tbaldridge wrote:I'm working on a built-in cloth simulator. It's still in the pre-coding stages, but I plan to have a working sample by the end of the month. At any rate, I hope to have it compleatly done by the end of the year. And after that, modify the code to support hair (since hair is really a modified form of cloth.
sounds cool, hope that works out

Goofster

Post by Goofster » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:33 pm

*DREEEEEEEEWL*

Roel

ps. Water is just a liquid form of cloth right? :wink:

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:52 pm

Goofster wrote:ps. Water is just a liquid form of cloth right? :wink:
nope, sorry.

Martin
- John Lennon

LukeW

Re: There's one in the works

Post by LukeW » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:07 pm

tbaldridge wrote:I'm working on a built-in cloth simulator. It's still in the pre-coding stages, but I plan to have a working sample by the end of the month. At any rate, I hope to have it compleatly done by the end of the year. And after that, modify the code to support hair (since hair is really a modified form of cloth.
Cool! BTW, the cloth would need to take subsurfs into account otherwise subsurfs would pierce through the cloth. The subsurf for the surface mesh should only be calculated once per frame though - not twice (where once is for the rendering of the surface below the cloth, and once for the collision detection with the cloth). (Unless the subsurf for collision detection is a lower level subsurf and makes things faster overall - though it could mean that the object pierces the cloth)
Making the cloth a subsurf could lead to intersecting polygons - this could be minimized by making the cloth stay a user-defined distance from the object's surface.... or the cloth could be made with nurbs/bezier surfaces which is converted to a mesh - or is a nurbs surface in blender... (with a user-defined level of detail)
BTW, it would be good if people could specify stiffness... gravity could also come into play too (gravity would be set on the world buttons)... so that the cloth drapes over the sides of things and takes time to fall. And there would be situations where it would be good to attach parts of the cloth to things... e.g. curtains, hammocks, even t-shirts (where the cloth is attached to itself - they have that in Maya - but that is probably quite hard to do).

theeth

Post by theeth » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:54 pm

parameters like stiffness would be ultra nice if they could be adjusted in a per vertex maner using a vertex painting way.

Martin
- John Lennon

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:56 pm

theeth wrote:parameters like stiffness would be ultra nice if they could be adjusted in a per vertex maner using a vertex painting way.
/me faints

theeth

Post by theeth » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:00 pm

Timothy wrote:
theeth wrote:parameters like stiffness would be ultra nice if they could be adjusted in a per vertex maner using a vertex painting way.
/me faints
that's a good faint or a bad faint?

Martin
- John Lennon

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:37 am

it's a good faint!

Though I would also like some more control than just vertex paint,..
/me points at the armature weight system

LukeW

Post by LukeW » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:02 am

Martin
I think that should be optional though since most fabrics would be fairly uniformly stiff and it would run (a bit?) faster if it is uniform.