Blender ~/.blender/ (or windows equivalent) folder issues

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mdias

Blender ~/.blender/ (or windows equivalent) folder issues

Post by mdias »

Hi

I believe there is an issue with the users' blender folder.
Unless the user or some package manager run script does anything about it, this folder will be incomplete (missing subfolders: scripts, presets, ...).

To solve this, I suggest creating this directory structure at the same time the subfolder "config" is created; at runtime on blender's first run for the current user.

I believe I can produce a patch that solves this, but first I would like to know if it would be accepted.

Feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

[edit:] Why is this important? Because some plugins want to save data (eg: user generated presets) and unless this folder already exists on the users' blender directory, it won't be listed as a possible folder by the bpy.utils functions.

ldo

Post by ldo »

On Debian, the “blender” command is actually a wrapper shell script, which does all the necessary setup as you describe, before invoking the actual Blender binary, which is called “blender-bin”.

I thought this wrapper was a standard part of the Blender distribution.

mdias

Post by mdias »

Yep, I heard about that Debian script before. I believe this should be handled by blender itself though, this way it'd cover all platforms and distros...