Creating Symbolic Link!1

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

thru2trot

Creating Symbolic Link!1

Post by thru2trot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:17 am

Hello all,

I am desperately trying to learn Python3 in context of blender 2.49 and 2.5. Although it isn't practical, the only books that are available for scripting in blender are for version 2.49 and have yet to be written for python3. Anyway, I noticed in having installed both 2.49 on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick and having built blender from source, I've learned a lot on whats under the hood. However, now I am trying to learn how to run blender from the command line. Currently, when I type blender in the Terminal, version 2.49 launches, however to run 2.5 beta--- the latest build I have to type:

Code: Select all

cd: blender-build/cmake/bin
and then:

./blender
Is there a way to not have to set up a symbolic link in order to run 2.5 from the Terminal in verbose mode?

Meaning currently, I have to set up a symbolic link by doing this:

ln -s ~/blender-build/cmake/bin/blender ~/blender-build/blender/blender.bin

If I don't want to do this is there another way to efficiently launch blender??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Best Regards,

thru2trot

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:44 am

Linux uses the PATH environment variable to locate executable files. Presumably, you have the 2.49 executable installed into either of the the traditional locations - /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

You have options:

Add the build directory to your PATH

Symlink the executable from the the build dir into somewhere already in the PATH, like /usr/local/bin

Type in the full pathname of the exe to run it.

Personally, I create a $HOME/bin dir and either copy or symlink my personal goodies into there. Don't forget to add $HOME/bin to your PATH environment variable!

thru2trot

Post by thru2trot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:52 am

Hello Stiv,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. If I add the path to the blender executable in my .bashrc file, how do I differentiate between blender2.49b and blender2.5? Both executable files are named blender. I guess it wouldn't matter if one of the files were named differently but in this case they aren't and the only thing that is different between them is the fact that they are in different locations. Thanks so much for the explanation though. So, to make sure I'm doing this correctly, If I have the blender2.5 build installed in /home/myname/blender-build/cmake/bin, is it just a matter of creating a bin directory in $HOME, and then:

ln -s ~/blender-build/cmake/bin/blender ~/blender-build/blender/blender.bin

?????
Do I have to be in the /blender-build/cmake/bin/blender directory in order to run this in the terminal? Or can I just run this by launching the Terminal and running it?

Again, this is in consideration that I am making a bin directory in $HOME...!

Thanks again for all your help stiv,

Best Regards,

thru2trot