Script request: Mirror mesh, armature and animations.

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

staticvoidlol

Script request: Mirror mesh, armature and animations.

Post by staticvoidlol » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi People,

I am in dire need of a script, and I can put up USD 50 as payment. Obviously this is only to give the dev a little something for his/her time. If it's fine with the dev, I'm happy to make the script freely available afterwards.

What I am looking for is the following:

A script that can mirror an existing mesh, armature, vertex groups and animations about the y-axis. It is not needed to duplicate the existing mesh, i.e. the existing mesh and all related data can just be mirrored about the y-axis. In fact, it is preferred.

I suppose the one catch is that I require that the psk/psa export script must be able to export the mirrored data afterwards.

A little more background info:
I'm doing animations for UDK, and I've created a right hand model with animations and now I require this to be duplicated exactly for a left hand.
I need the hands to be two separate export objects as I'm implementing dual-wielding of weapons.

I've tried doing this with mirrors but I am too much of a Blender noob to get it working.

Please warm my cold heart with a hot Python script.

Thanks,
staticvoidlol

kestion

Re: Script request: Mirror mesh, armature and animations.

Post by kestion » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Have you had any responses to this?
I could probably tackle some of the work- the mirroring scripts.
Not too familiar with export plugins though.
any other coders want to team up?
email kesten@solarmobiletrailers.com

staticvoidlol

Post by staticvoidlol » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Kestion,

Unfortunately I haven't had any responses.

I've managed to get the mesh and armature mirrored manually with correct vertex groups, but the animations are a bit of a headache. I'd still love to have a script that can do everything automatically.

The psk/psa export script has some basic requirements, but I think if the scene is used as supplied and then the data is just transformed, there should not be any problems as it would just be using a scene that already works, but with edited data.

Cheers!

kestion

Post by kestion » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 pm

If you want to send me your .blend file explaining the desired workflow, your mirroring hacks and the animation headaches I'll have a look. If you can, download Cam-studio recorder or some other screen video capture to add some video to the scripting specification doc to support your written descriptions. You can send it to the email above. Also, give me an idea of any deadlines you are working with.

kesten

staticvoidlol

Post by staticvoidlol » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:56 pm

kestion wrote:If you want to send me your .blend file explaining the desired workflow, your mirroring hacks and the animation headaches I'll have a look. If you can, download Cam-studio recorder or some other screen video capture to add some video to the scripting specification doc to support your written descriptions. You can send it to the email above. Also, give me an idea of any deadlines you are working with.

kesten
Hi Kesten,

Thanks very much for offering to have a look at this, much appreciated. Apologies for the late reply- I've been crazy busy lately. I'll send you an email shortly.

Cheers,
staticvoidlol