future of Cygwin build

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

forcefield

future of Cygwin build

Post by forcefield » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:43 pm

Theeth posted on Elysiun that the only official build of Blender on WIN32 was M$VC 6. That statement coupled with the migration to SCons* prompts me to ask: What is the future of the Cygwin build for WIN32?

I know that a lot of the Win32 coders seem to like/use/have M$VC, but I don't like it. I'd like to be able to contribute code one day, let alone build from CVS. Is a move to Linux in my future?

Also why is it that the build under cygwin can't do the Avi codec, Quicktime, sound (right?) and game engine (or can no one do the engine right now). Is it a limitation of the Cygwin envirioment or the libraries?

Thanks..

*NOTE: this is what concerns me: (from the bf-committers email)

* Cygwin (me)
- has a problem in the linking stage
- uses free build tools (gcc)
- options for quicktime, openal and international disabled
- uses the system libs and include files for building - no option to build
with the precompiled libraries yet.

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Re: future of Cygwin build

Post by Michel » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:57 pm

forcefield wrote:Theeth posted on Elysiun that the only official build of Blender on WIN32 was M$VC 6. That statement coupled with the migration to SCons* prompts me to ask: What is the future of the Cygwin build for WIN32?
Hi,

You don't need to be worried. The new SCons build system is still a works in progress, but it's definately a target to be able to build blender using free tools only (cygwin for example). I myself don't have MSVC at home, so I depend on cygwin for my Windows build of blender.
forcefield wrote: Also why is it that the build under cygwin can't do the Avi codec, Quicktime, sound (right?) and game engine (or can no one do the engine right now). Is it a limitation of the Cygwin envirioment or the libraries?
It's a works in progress. jesterKing added the options for avi, quicktime, sound and international support to the MSVC windows build. I have not yet taken the time to get these features enabled in the cygwin build.
If SCons is up to building blender with the same results as the normal Makefiles, it could well be that the SCons build becomes mainstream, until then we keep the Makefiles in cvs - and keep them updated as well. As for the autoconf build, I don't think much effort will be put into maintaining those - other than adding new files that need to be compiled. My effort has shifted from working on the autoconf system to the SCons system :)

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Post by Michel » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:01 pm

hi,

I'm a bit wrong about the sound part. The audio sequencer uses SDL for audio support. That is supported on all platforms - including cygwin.

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

forcefield

thanks!

Post by forcefield » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:11 pm

I am glad to hear such a quick reply. I am also very happy to hear that someone is dedicated to building with free tools under win32. SCons sounds better and more manageable than all the makefiles.

Thank you.

Jogi

Post by Jogi » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:36 pm

What about other free c/c++ compiler(s)?? DigitalMars seems to be uptodate and compiles quite fast (or so they say..) I would like to poke around the blender's code but Cygwin & VC are out of the question.. :cry: