Using blender as a custom editor for a game engine?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kantaki

Using blender as a custom editor for a game engine?

Post by kantaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:38 pm

I am currently writing my own custom game engine and I am redering from OpenGL to GLFW at the moment, but I also want to render into Blender.

I really need a solid editor now and I thought maybe I could turn Blender into my own little custom game editor.

Do you think this would be a wise choice? What problems would I encounter? Any resources that you would recommend me to read?

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Easiest path would be to find some data format Blender and your game engine agree on and simply import/export that.

Second would be to write a custom import/export script for your engine. The OBJ scripts are probably nice examples. Also lots of useful examples in the Text Editor templates.

kantaki

Post by kantaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:03 pm

stiv wrote:Easiest path would be to find some data format Blender and your game engine agree on and simply import/export that.

Second would be to write a custom import/export script for your engine. The OBJ scripts are probably nice examples. Also lots of useful examples in the Text Editor templates.
I think you understood me wrong. I think you mean that I can create a scene in blender and then I can import it in my engine right?

I want to go a step further, I want a real editor so that I could place custom entities etc. Basically I want to build something like the UDK editor inside blender and wire it to my engine.

Do I have that much control?

I had a quick look at blender and it seems that I can do basically anything.

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:07 pm

basically yes, you could even integrate your render engine into blender (if it's opengl based).
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...