Cygwin compiling with Python

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

harkyman

Cygwin compiling with Python

Post by harkyman » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:32 am

I've tried compiling a number of times at work with zero success.

I'm trying on my home box, this time, Win2K Pro, using free tools. I've read all the docs available here, but they don't seem to address my level of noobishness in this.

First question: cygwin setup allows me to install a Python package, but it looks like it will only allow me to use 2.3.3 or 2.3.1. What am I going to need to do to install Python 2.2 (which is what Blender uses, right?), and do I need to have cygwin download source as well as binaries?

Hos

Post by Hos » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:36 am

You don't need the cygwin python installed to build
blender(in fact, you don't need *any* pythin installed)
... the python stuff you need will be obtained from the
lib/windows module that you get in step 4 of the doc:

http://projects.blender.org/viewcvs/vie ... text/plain

Chris

lightning

Post by lightning » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:23 pm

Ok, you can try my way, or go to blender/doc/README.windows-gcc in the cvs (its a text file) and that's the official instructions.

I assume that you already have the cvs code? You have to make sure that you have the directory set up right, I havent built it for a while but from what I remember it should look a bit like this:

ROOT\blender checkout\(source, external, internal etc.)
\lib checkout\(windows\python, png etc.)

Then you have to have about every cygwin library under the sun, so I hope you have broadband or faster!

After that, you go into root\blender checkout, type

Code: Select all

EXPORT FREE_WINDOWS=true
(You better check that, it should be in the docs section of the cvs; root\blender checkout\doc)

and then type make. hopefully it works.

If not, give us the output where it crashes and that will make it easier to find your problem.

btw if i've said somthing thats out of date or just plain wrong, someone point it out and I'll change it ;)
The dawn of a new error...

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:53 pm

Thanks guys. My failures have been using the provided linked instructions. I'm trying on a different machine this time. I keep my home box lean and mean, so I'm hoping things will work out better on it.

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:28 pm

First snag, and it seems to be the same one I've encountered on my work machines. After dlltool creates a pile of stub files, I get this:

Code: Select all

dlltool: Creating stub file: dsvs00750.o
dlltool: Creating stub file: dsvs00751.o
dlltool: Created lib file
ranlib /home/Administrator/bf-blender/blender/../lib/windows/python/lib/freepy.a

rm ./python22.dll
====> make all in blender/intern
====> make all in intern/string
====> make all in intern/string/intern
g++ -c -pipe -mno-cygwin -mwindows -DNDEBUG -O2 -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wpointer-arit
h -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-pro
totypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls  -Wreorder -Wc
tor-dtor-privacy -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wold-style-cast -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign
-promo -Wsynth  -DFREE_WINDOWS -I.. STR_String.cpp -o /home/Administrator/bf-ble
nder/blender/obj/windows/intern/string/STR_String.o
make[3]: g++: Command not found
make[3]: *** [/home/Administrator/bf-blender/blender/obj/windows/intern/string/S
TR_String.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1
Any help? Also, anyone want to give me some theory on what I'm seeing here so I can try to troubleshoot things like this myself?

lightning

Post by lightning » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:57 am

It looks like you need some more of the cygwin binarys. Have you tried the link that Hos posted? It has a list of the binarys that you need to install. I think the one your looking for is gcc and possibly gcc-mingw as well.

Good luck!
The dawn of a new error...

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:21 pm

I've followed the instructions. I told cygwin to get the gcc and gcc-mingw binaries, but I'll double check tonight. Thanks.

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:14 pm

Woo freaking hoo! Compiled and running. I rechecked the cygwin packages. gcc (which is what the docs call for) and g++ are listed seperately in the cygwin installer. When I told it to get me g++, everything worked beautifully.

The docs should be changed to reflect this newbie stumbling block.