To macosx coders...

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

V3nomX

To macosx coders...

Post by V3nomX »

hi,
I wonder how hard would it be to make blender launch on macosx without the useless menubar?

is it possible to do?

thanx

Rico.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Join the user pref window (which contains the "upper-menu" (which is really just a header in the user preferences window)) with the window below it. Save user prefs with ctrl-u. Restart. Voilá

/jesterKing

V3nomX

Post by V3nomX »

errrr....

thanx...but i know this since the first day i used blender... :? :)

i was talking about the system menubar(with the apple menu), not the one in the blender window.
I tryed by quiting the finder, but it only hides the finder menu bar...going back to blender shows the bar again.

Rico.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

ow :oops:

/jesterKing

V3nomX

Post by V3nomX »

hehe...no prob.. :wink:
Rico.

http://www.blender.clan.st
The French Blender Portal

lukep

Post by lukep »

Not impossible Blender doing all in OpenGL, but quite difficult.

Apple call this kiosk mode, but you have to disable other apps in such a config, and mainly all window services and finder.

This also mean you loose the ability of switching to an app that need the system menu.

finally this will break on systems with more than one screen.

So unlikely to be worth the effort.

V3nomX

Post by V3nomX »

but by launching the core of blender it allready goes full screen, keeping the ability to switch to other apps... so if u sum to this the posibility to hide the menu bar(if its possible..), you'll get a kind of kiosk mode.."maybe" without breaking anything.
Rico.

lukep

Post by lukep »

V3nomX wrote:but by launching the core of blender it allready goes full screen, keeping the ability to switch to other apps... so if u sum to this the posibility to hide the menu bar(if its possible..), you'll get a kind of kiosk mode.."maybe" without breaking anything.
lauching from the core is a bad idea as the drawing region may be not initialized correctly if X11 has a window in same area. This may lead to a crash of the window server.

from <http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... /TPXREF102>
How to Create a Full-Screen Context

When creating a full-screen OpenGL context, first use Core Graphics’s Direct Display API to capture the display. Capturing the display prevents contention from other applications and system services. In addition, applications are not notified of display changes, preventing them from repositioning their windows and the Finder from repositioning desktop icons. (Direct Display functions are found in the header CGDirectDisplay.h, located in the Application Services umbrella framework.)

Note: Some OpenGL renderers, like the software renderer, do not support full-screen mode. If CGLChoosePixelFormat returns NULL for the pixel format object, a full-screen context cannot be created.
this is totally unfriendly to other applications and dual displays setups, prone to crash X11, and so is not advisable.

The only applications that do that are games, as you don't run anything else when playing.

With blender, you may want to have, eg the gimp&sodipodi open, read your e-mail and be on irc. That's what I do (plus some terminals windows, bbedit safari and some others, I have the space having 2x19")

V3nomX

Post by V3nomX »

ok, now I understand

but.....
for example I use quake3, full screen mode (like you said its often done for games)...and I can run other apps, switch back to the finder to check my mail internet or do whatever at the same time that quake is running full screen.. so it must be possible to do with blender...

but anyway...if I understand u well, even if we could use blender full screen it won't be possible toggle freely the fullscreen mode...so it's sort of useless..

so... i'll be patient....i'll wait for blender 3 or 4 :-D
Rico.

jsplifer

Post by jsplifer »

V3nomX:

The only way I know how to do this is by starting Blender from the terminal on OSX.

For me, I would type:

Code: Select all

JasperMine:~ jaspermine$ /Volumes/MacClassic/Applications\ \(Mac\ OS\ 9\)/Blender/BlenderOfficial.app/Contents/MacOS/blender -p 0 0 1056 792
You may need to turn Dock hidding on from the Apple menu, the little apple in the upper left.

jsplifer