Blender on Fedora Core 2

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:25 pm

Phreakster001 wrote:Oh you have to install a seperate package....i didn't know that....where can i get this 'scons'?
Yes indeedy, the "bash: scons: command not found" means that your system couldn't find the "scons" program, which is what you need to run to compile Blender. From a quick search through Google I found the download page on the scons homepage here: http://www.scons.org/download.html . If you're running Fedora Core 2 then you'll probably want to download the version labelled "scons-0.95-1.noarch.rpm" (RPMs are files that install programs for Red Hat or Fedora). Download it and save it to your home area, then open up a console and type this to become root:

Code: Select all

su
Enter your root password, and then type this to install it:

rpm -ivh scons-0.95-1.noarch.rpm
Look for any errors - if it says you have missing dependencies or anything like that then you'll have to download RPM files for each of these missing dependencies and install them the same way (again, Google is your friend ;) ). Once you've finished trying to install packages type

exit
in your console to end being root (#1 rule of Linux - dont use root any more than you have to). Once you've got scons installed, try compiling Blender again the same way as before (by the way, you dont need to be root to compile Blender, it'll work fine as a regular user - again, remember the #1 rule of Linux ;)).

Good luck!

LethalSideParting

Phreakster001

Post by Phreakster001 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:31 pm

jesterKing wrote: autoconf et al. has been discontinued since the fourth of January, 2004.

/jesterKing
oh...why? Is this 'scons' the replacement? personally i like the old way better :wink:

Ive downloaded it. ill be back if i have more problems :wink: :roll:

Phreakster001

Post by Phreakster001 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:33 pm

I got an error after typing

rpm -ivh scons-0.95-1.noarch.rpm
it said

scons-0.95-1.noarch.rpm: not an rpm package (or package manifest)
EDIT: nevermind i downloaded the HTML page used to select the d/l mirror. :roll: its working fine now

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:18 am

Heh. I was going to suggest you got an html file instead of the rpm, but I didn't want you to think we were picking on you.

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Post by Michel » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:24 am

Phreakster001 wrote:
jesterKing wrote: autoconf et al. has been discontinued since the fourth of January, 2004.

/jesterKing
oh...why? Is this 'scons' the replacement? personally i like the old way better :wink:
On this page you can see a bit of history why autoconf has been removed: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Build_syst ... 0.html#207.

And here's a guide on how to build blender with scons: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Building_w ... 137.0.html

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

Phreakster001

Post by Phreakster001 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:09 pm

Thanks. BTW, its a little choppy or something compared to the windows version. Is this because its running off Linux or is this because I have Python 2.3.4 installed? (or both :wink: )

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:11 pm

its a little choppy or something compared to the windows version. Is this because its running off Linux or is this because I have Python 2.3.4 installed?
Hmm, at first guess I'd say neither ;) . My experience is that the Linux version will quite happily keep up with the Windows version, and when it comes down to rendering will actually go slightly faster... Do you have a 3D card in your PC, and if so what make, and have you installed the 3D drivers for it? The reason I ask is that a lot of Linux distributions arent able to ship 3D card drivers with their Linux distributions, which means that these distributions work perfectly until you start trying to do anything involving displaying 3D scenes, at which point they slow down incredibly because they're using the processor instead of the graphics card to do all the complex 3D drawing... Does this fit the bill?

LethalSideParting

Phreakster001

Post by Phreakster001 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:11 am

Hmm.....thats not exactly the problem. The whole ui seems kinda messed up. The little line you draw with your cursor is dashed (instead of solid like with windows) and when i go over buttons some 'square' of it disappears of something, like when you get lots of apps running and the gui gets all slow and non-responsive but it was the only app open....either way right now my comp is not working correctly. I tried putting in my old hard drive, cd drive, and RAM card but none of them worked so i took them out and at startup it has trouble doing the file system check. Im looking for a solution now.... :?