BeOs, Zeta, HAIKU Port???

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

brunobrocoli

BeOs, Zeta, HAIKU Port???

Post by brunobrocoli »

Is there any progress in an HAIKU (ex OpenBeOs), BeOs, Zeta port right now???
:)

brunobrocoli

How to compile for BeOs

Post by brunobrocoli »

Would be very nice to have one. 8)

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Anybody used these OS's?

brunobrocoli

Sure....What a question...

Post by brunobrocoli »

There are more than 30.000 to 60.000 worldwide...
heavily used in Japan, South Amerika, France and German.
Zeta the new factory is shipping Zeta(BeOs6) bundeld with computer hardware in Japan. If you will do a port you will benefit about the users.
Just have a look at software for the BeOs on www.bebits.com or www.bezip.de (german). Look for the updates and downloads... :lol:

stiv

Post by stiv »

Blender is Open Source software. It has been ported to Irix, Linux, various Windows, OSX, Solaris and FreeBSD using both the native compilers and gcc.

The source code is freely available for download from blender.org. Fire up your compiler and get to it!

brunobrocoli

Code for BeOs Zeta

Post by brunobrocoli »

Derar faithfull programmers out there...

I dont know why programmers waste their skills and time on popular platforms as they are likely to get much more attention if they programme for BeOs or Zeta. This step would make the programmer famous very fast. Why these so called Programmers are afraid about programming in Zeta or BeOs since all they need is included in a BeOs OS allready and for free? Sorry I dont know the answer and sorry I dont understand to program by myself since I am already over 40 years and have 2 children to whatch at. But if I had the chance to be young agian I would very likely risk to try someonesthing special for the BeOs/Zeta community and dont follow the mainstream only to get something to earn my living.

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

stiv: (minor peeve) original blender was ported FROM irix, not TO. lately, you can't tell wtf is happening.

brunobrocoli: what you recommend is common sense. this is something only 40+ year old's, with kids have learned. unfortunately, once you get to that point you have no time to do coding for free anymore.

stiv

Post by stiv »

JWalton wrote:stiv: (minor peeve) original blender was ported FROM irix, not TO.
You are correct. I was being intellectually lazy using 'ported to' as a synonym for 'runs on'. Perhaps 'more or less supported platforms' is a better phrase eh?

An even more pedantic weenie than either of of us would probably drag the Amiga into this, but let's not go there! Instead, let us praise our Honorable Ancestor, SGI, the Mother of All Graphics.

/me smiles fondly at the little O2 sitting on his desk.

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

stiv wrote:An even more pedantic weenie than either of of us would probably drag the Amiga into this, but let's not go there!
Amiga only ran 'traces' :)

brunobrocoli

Blender was running on BeOs and still is but...

Post by brunobrocoli »

i am only sad that no one is maintaining the Blendersource. Blender 2.11 is still available and is working on Zeta and BeOs. With some effort on porting codeing this Programm would be a great success on Zeta/BeOs. The only problem as far as I know is the use of Mesa which has to be implemented to the BeOs first. But all Mesa Demos and samples are running right now on it. So there must be a way to get Blender working again with BeOs. There is someone working on the port but he may need some help.

brunobrocoli

Blender 2.11 with save option

Post by brunobrocoli »

It would be nice if some developer could make the BeOs Blender Version 2.11 stable. That means, check the code and make Blender save the fieles. Cause the save option is disabled in this version. If I could save it would be very useful. :cry:

brunobrocoli

Blender 2.40 alpha 1 for Zeta ver.1.1

Post by brunobrocoli »

Finaly there is a Zeta port available now. It is the Blender 2.40 alpha1 build.
And it is working very fast and happy with Zeta. For a first Alpha and for a first long awaited build after 4 years it shows that BeOs and Zeta are still alive.

For me it is a huge step into bringing back this great OS.