Need info on plugins.

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

xanatose

Need info on plugins.

Post by xanatose »

Searching the documentation i found that there are only 2 types of plugins available.

- Texture : for creating procedural textures.
- Sequence : to manipulate the render.

Since compiled code is many times faster that interpreted code, why not include the ability to make plugins for other areas, such as modeling tools, animating and import/export. Without the need to patch and recompile blender itself.

PS: I know that python can be used, but still is an interpreted language.

gabio

Post by gabio »

Such request mean: Get all the python api in a C api, Stick a plugin loading lib on it(reuse the one for for tex and seq) and give the ability to add stuff in the interface.

How feseable is that?

Dani

Post by Dani »

hum... maybe for Blender 3 ? :wink:

should blender be completely modular?

dunno... it surely represents a lot of work for the coders, but how good for the users? I guess a lot, but I'm not sure anymore...

Dani

xanatose

Post by xanatose »

The good things about plugins is that you can do performance hungry things (that are too slow for a script language) in blender. Right now the alternatives are:

- Add it to the code, after familiarizing a lot with it. And hope that your changes are compatible with the newer version that will surely appear in the CVS when you finish :)

- Create an outside program and use a python script to import the data.

The good thing about python is that is platform independant. The bad thing, as with ANY script language, is not the fastest way to do things.