Can Blender's GUI library be reused?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

iliks

Can Blender's GUI library be reused?

Post by iliks » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:49 am

Blender's OpenGL interface library is undoubtedly the most advanced one among other freely available ones. But I have a question: can it be resued in other programs? I.e., how much is it tied to Blender? Can it be 'extracted' easily out of its sources?

ch

Post by ch » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:26 pm

i think there is GHOST, (orginally from GLUT) and that are own liberaries. you can see its sources at its project-page
http://www.web-play-3d.de
German site with Blender Tutorials

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Post by Michel » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:49 am

Unfortunately not. The UI widgets are integrated fairly tight into the source tree.
The ghost library is mainly meant for window management and a generic layer for event handling.

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

joeedh

Re: Can Blender's GUI library be reused?

Post by joeedh » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:33 am

iliks wrote:Blender's OpenGL interface library is undoubtedly the most advanced one among other freely available ones. But I have a question: can it be resued in other programs? I.e., how much is it tied to Blender? Can it be 'extracted' easily out of its sources?
You should check out my BPyGUI on elysiun (latest post with new version). It's not nearly as good as Blender, but it is a 99% pure Blender.BGL implementation of a GUI library.

Anyway, about your topic. . .about a year ago I started sketching out classes for a C++ implementation of Blender's GUI code, but once it became clear that Blender isn't going to be coded in C++ anytime soon, I abandoned the attempt. Although, I do believe that someone else extracted the GUI code. . .but that was before the GUI rewrite (I think). Try searching for really old posts using "GHOST" as the keyword.

joeedh