PDA's again

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Skelet

PDA's again

Post by Skelet »

Ok, I know that ipq version of blender was experemental and no one tooked any responseability for that release. Whatever:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE COMPILE BLENDER FOR NEW IPAQ's ? (Microsoft® Windows® Pocket PC 2003)

New ipaq's have enough cpu and ram to run fully functional blender workstation, and I guess there cant be any problems with MS to use free software using trial mobile device devkit (http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/thekit/).
I woud love to do it for myself, but im not a coder and it will take to long time to learn all compiling aspects.
Anyway... Here's emulator that will help to test compiled version without buying ipaq : http://www.pocketpcdn.com/sections/emulator.html
The Skelet

Skelet

Post by Skelet »

Ok I'w read all of them now. So , there's simle question: Is there possible to recompile a 2.04 version for a new ipaq's ? If it is, where shoud I start (I guess nobody except me isn't interested in extreem blending anymore :( )?
The Skelet

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

Skelet wrote:(I guess nobody except me isn't interested in extreemblending anymore :( )?
that's not what I said, I said that nobody was particularly interested in making it happen [many are interested in seeing it once it has happened]

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

> Ok I'w read all of them now. So , there's simle question: Is there possible to recompile a 2.04 version for a new ipaq's ?

Skelet, the main problem with this is we do not actually have
the 2.04 source that is still closed and is significantly different from 2.25 from what I've heard.

joeri

Post by joeri »

The game engine from 2.04 is very very different from the 2.25 one.
For 2.04 Glut was used as a openGL interface.
Any effort into 2.04 is into a deadend.

Why not port 2.3X to Pda's ?
I don't think blendering without a keyboard is any good but that's me.
Playing blender games on a pda,... thats a total diffent coockie!

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

joeri wrote:The game engine from 2.04 is very very different from the 2.25 one.
For 2.04 Glut was used as a openGL interface.
Any effort into 2.04 is into a deadend.

Why not port 2.3X to Pda's ?
I don't think blendering without a keyboard is any good but that's me.
Playing blender games on a pda,... thats a total diffent coockie!
PDA's only have about 64-128mb available for program storage and program execution. the memory footprint of blender has grown dramatically since 2.04.

now, correct me if mistaken, but game design on blender is a very 3D texture mapped solution. almost all PDA style games are 2D, like platform games were, and accelerated bitblitting, scrolling and such come into play, since there is no video acceleration, it's all good direct compiled programming, rather than a 'game interpreter' like blender. if this style of game presentation were developed then, you would have a good solution. game controller is basically 4-way joy button, and 4-buttons (or 2 if you have a phone edition pocketpc).

although i've been an avid pocketpc/PDA user for many years... i never played much games on it. there was a single player everquest version. check out www.pocketgamer.org for state of the art in this area.

edit: and it's cookie!
edit2: and it's.... a weird weird saying... dutch?

joeri

Post by joeri »

dat is andere koek! / that's different cake/cookie, the one you want, not the boring one you get with your coffee. And no, not the one with the plant in it.

Yes, footprint. Hmmm nice Ian word, thank you J. I had almost forgotten him.
But... any programm that allow non-programmers to create a game will be used by non-programmes to create games. If a 3d engine is behind it, who cares? I understand this will not be the blender version of UT2.
The interesting thing of enabeling creatives is that they come up with ideas that programmers don't come up with.

I believe that flash is a succes for this reason. Most things you can do in flash you can also do in DHTML, but... for DHTML you need programming skills.

Anyway,... porting python to the pda just to get a file loaded into blender etc. seems to put the '2.3X on pda' idea back in the closet.

Skelet

Post by Skelet »

Anyway,... porting python to the pda just to get a file loaded into blender etc. seems to put the '2.3X on pda' idea back in the closet.

Hey! Don't forget : anything is possible [blender is 5 mb weight , and it proves that]
Everyone started to speek about GE, actualy it's not neccesary, you can't made noramal game on ipaq anyway, BUT! if you want to sketch some interiors or city scapes it's best tool that you can imagine. 64 - 128mb is quite enough to made few of them, by the way you can use more then one scene to make modeling more smooth... Anyway my question is still up: ... where shoud I start???
The Skelet

Skelet

Post by Skelet »

DoublePost Was here!!!
Last edited by Skelet on Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Skelet

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

To start with you should first be familiar with building blender on a known working platform. (You should use the platform
your going to be cross compiling on for this, don't use linux if your going to be porting under windows)

If your looking for developer resources check out the talk
I gave at the blender conference:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Full_Paper.465.0.html

Once you have that going you'll need to get the required libs
for blender built on your ipaq.

Then its just a matter of trying building blender and seeing where things get stuck. Feel free to send me an email and or just post here with specifics. We'll try to help you as much as possible.

joeri

Post by joeri »

:) Let's go! This would be realy realy cool. Must be a monkey award at least!

sten

Post by sten »

@Skelet

hey, I see you have a double-post...not fun :)

can you remove it by yourself (I cant since I got no mod status in this particular forum) ?

cheers!
/ztonzy

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

joeri wrote:Yes, footprint. Hmmm nice Ian word, thank you J. I had almost forgotten him.
Footprint, addressable market, value proposition, market segmentation, tiered customer response, execution, etc... to bad it didn't work out, it would have been great. damn nice booths too. Ian _should_ have been able to pull it off.

JWalton

Post by JWalton »

Skelet wrote:BUT! if you want to sketch some interiors or city scapes it's best tool that you can imagine
i donno, charcoal and paper is pretty good for that :-)
Skelet wrote: 64 - 128mb is quite enough to made few of them
64-128mb is shared with the other programs storage and I+D space during execution. for instance on my 64mb pocketpc i have 12mb storage free, and 17mb program free. it goes _real_ fast.

to do architectural walk throughs is fine, you don't need python and game engine and stuff. just fly mode good UI for moving around.