--MSVC .NET 2003 PROBLEMS--

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mchs3d

--MSVC .NET 2003 PROBLEMS--

Post by mchs3d »

There are problems with building Blender in VS .NET 2003.
One project of problem is PHY_Sumo. It is a single-thread when the rest of the solution is multi-threaded.
Another project of problem is BRE_render. It excludes imagetexture.c, an important texturing file.
If anyone has some fixes for this PLEASE REPLY! I am trying to put together a report on how to successfully build Blender on VS .NET 2003.

mchs3d

VS .NET REPOS

Post by mchs3d »

Anyway, if anyone knows if their is a nice repository fixing all of these items please let me know, otherwise I am going to begin my own documentation project (many Blenderers have problems with vs.net).

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

i have been trying, but failed many times. i can't even figure out how to set the cpppath right.

gsmit5492

building VS 2003

Post by gsmit5492 »

hi, i've managed to compile nearly everything, all projects in the intern.sln compiled without a problem, but in the blender.sln all projects are compile except at the end i suffer from a linking error - cant find ftgl_static.lib just wondering if you guys got this as well or if i've got further than you ????

ps. i knew i should have stuck with 2002 at work we've had nothing short of a nightmare :roll:

any help to this would be grateful

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d »

Well, this exact problem I didn't get. But I get many linker problems. What I found was that I either didn't build these libraries or VS.net can't find them. Try using "search" on your computer for the file, then tell VS.net to look in the folder you found the file.

studmuffinuk05

Hi, got it to work

Post by studmuffinuk05 »

Hi, i got blender to compile first time on my house mates computer - gsmit5492. made him feel very stupid 8)

here's what i did

1 - download current version from CVS using batch file

FILENAME:blender.bat
@echo off
cls
echo creating directories
c:\
md develop
cd develop
md unstable
cd unstable

echo downloading BLENDER
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.blender.org:/cvsroot/bf-blender login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.blender.org:/cvsroot/bf-blender co blender

echo downloading BLENDER LIBS
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.blender.org:/cvsroot/bf-blender login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.blender.org:/cvsroot/bf-blender co lib

2 - copy the blender and lib directory to develop directory
3 - build the intern.sln, extern.sln then blender.sln
4 - you will have errors with blender.sln but this will be sorted by simply placing the directory location in the tools menu/options/projects/ in VC2003

and there you go you've got blender :roll: any problems you can email me at pinkypearson@hotmail.com

cwguy

Post by cwguy »

For studmuffinuk05:

If this approach works for anyone else compiling with VC .Net 2003, perhaps you should post those intructions to the sticky at the top of the forum page too?
link to that post

Thanks,
cwguy

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d »

The latest commit should be working fine now. Just a few header lookups and whatnot. :wink:

coldlamper

Re: Hi, got it to work

Post by coldlamper »

studmuffinuk05 wrote:Hi, i got blender to compile first time on my house mates computer - gsmit5492. made him feel very stupid 8)

4 - you will have errors with blender.sln but this will be sorted by simply placing the directory location in the tools menu/options/projects/ in VC2003

What directory location? The directory of blender.sln?

I've tried compiling for 2 days. I can build the intern fine. The extern always cannot find ft2build.h. I's located in two different spots. So I point to one of them then the extern builds.

When I try to build blender.sln It cannot find half of the include files. So I try to find them and include then after about 10-15 of those I start getting funtions already defined in other libs and it's a real mess?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

ascotan

Post by ascotan »

/extern issue is resolved. It was linking to freetype libs that was removed